About Portmeirion - Pottery, Porcelain & Glass
Susan Williams-Ellis, the daughter of Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, founded the Portmeirion Pottery in Stoke on Trent in 1960. The pottery is named after the Italianate tourist village of Portmeirion, which was built in North Wales between 1925 and 1975 by her father. Whilst working at the A.E. Gray Pottery, Susan designed the Gray's Pottery Portmeirionware items for sale at the Portmeirion village tourist shop. In 1961 Susan Williams-Ellis and her husband took over another pottery, Kirkhams Ltd, to manufacture pottery in addition to decorating it. The Portmeirion Potteries took over Royal Worcester and Spode in 2009, in the process changing the company name to the Portmeirion Group.
The Portmeirion pottery developed a reputation for creating original designs, with pieces becoming very collectable and selling worldwide. The most famous Portmeirion design is the Botanic Garden range of tableware and household items, which was launched in 1972, following on from the successful 1960 range called Magic Garden.
The Portmeirion Pomona range went into production in 1982, with many items designed by Susan Williams-Ellis's daughters. Named after the ancient fruit goddess, the range includes a veritable orchard of fruit beautifully arranged on coffee pots, storage jars, jugs and dinner sets. New fruits are added to the range on a regular basis, and it is possible to collect specific fruits to form dinner services and kitchenware sets.
The Porcelain Garden range features designs from the early nineteenth century Sanderson Claverley collection of blossoms and birds painted in watercolour pastels. In contrast, the Crazy Daisy range of modern floral patterns forms a bright and cheerful set of tableware. The seasonal Holly and the Ivy range of decorative tableware is designed specifically to be used during the Christmas period, but is suitable for any time of the year.