Collectors of Ancient African Coins are spoilt for choice when it comes to buying coins on eBay. With a huge variety of coins stretching back hundreds of years, eBay is the perfect place to start the creation of an Ancient African coin collection or grow an already impressive assortment of African currency.
This guide is designed to help find the perfect coins to start or improve your coin collection. With Africa being one of the largest and most beautiful continents on the planet, be sure to find a lot of variety in their currency from the Egyptian Pound to the South African Rand.
What to Look For When Buying Ancient African Coins
It can be hard to find out where to start when looking for Ancient African coins. However, there are a few key points to keep in mind when scouting for the perfect coins for a collection. The main factors to keep an eye out for are:
- Price – prices will of course be different for all coins. However African coins can tend to be a little bit special and harder to find than their European or Asian counterparts, so it is well worth educating yourself on what to look for and what the potential new coin is worth to a collection.
- Period – Ancient African coins will vary from era to era and country to country in terms of look, design, feel and value. Using the filter tools on the left side of the page on eBay can help to find what the majority of buyers are looking for.
- Type – Ancient coins from Northern Africa can differ largely to South African coins, so it is important to find out what geographical location to collect as this will help narrow down the search.
- Condition – As with all coins, ancient African coins’ condition can vary greatly with the age of the coins and environment being big factors. More pristine coins will tend to cost a little more in comparison to the coins that have a bit of wear and tear.
Ancient African Coins
When buying Ancient African coins, it is important to be certain of the authenticity of the item that is being bought. It can be difficult to sort the real gems from the not so desirable to the untrained eye. Look for some factors when buying ancient African coins on eBay which can help to judge whether an item is the right coin for a collection:
- Materials – Like most coins around the world, ancient African coins contain copper in a bronze alloy. These dark brown coins may display signs of corrosion (green spots and worn areas).
- Period – A great way to search is by period. With the political and cultural changes brought about in Africa’s history, you could really find some great pieces from countries that now have a different name and different culture from its time of circulation.
- Design – Make sure to be familiar with what the coin should look like when looking for a specific piece. This will make the buyer more aware of what little details to look for in scouting the perfect coin.
- Obverse and Reverse – Also known as heads and tails, the patterns on these parts of coins can vary greatly from country to country. Most will have an image on one side of the coin and the denomination on the other side.
- Condition – the condition of the coin can give an idea of the period which the coin is from and is authenticity. The coins are likely to have a browning colour as they may have been circulated for a long time. Faded images on the coins can also give an indication as to whether the coin is authentic.
- Verdigris – This is the process in which green marks develop on copper coins. Verdigris on coins should be dull and rusty looking.
Buying ancient African coins can be very tricky but buyers should take all the advice above on board and join coin collector’s forums for advice on different coins and information about reputable sellers. eBay sellers who say they cannot vouch for the items authenticity are breaching eBay policy, and our sellers you generally want to stay away from.
Caring For Ancient African Coins
Ancient African coins can be rather fragile, and need some care and attention for the buyer to preserve them so they can reduce further damage in the future. There a few techniques that can help to preserve a collection and these are highlighted below:
- Avoid Handling Coins - damage can be caused by the oils that come from human skin
- Avoid Cleaning - This will do more harm than good, as it will strip the coin of its natural oxidisation (‘toning’) and lower its value and even leave it open for further damage.
- Check for Acid-Free Material – this may be present in paper, and as the paper breaks down the chemicals will cause spotting and discolouration in the coins.
- Store in a Cool, Dry Place – If there is any moisture in the coins storage space, it is highly likely that it will be exposed to verdigris and cause damage to the coin.
- Avoid PVC – PVC is found in pliable plastics. The plastic contacting the metal can cause an acidic reaction that can cause a green substance to cover the coin that will damage it beyond repair.
To summarise, keep ancient African coins in a dry, non-acidic environment as this will extend the lifespan of the coins and will preserve these highly collectable pieces.
Buying Ancient African Coins on eBay
- eBay has a fantastic range of ancient African coins on offer for highly competitive prices that would not be found in a brick and mortar coin dealer or collector’s shop.
- Once it becomes apparent through research what type of ancient African coins are wanted, go to the Coins category portal, click the Coins link, and start searching for ancient African Coins on eBay.
- Categories: The Categories list on the left side of the page will help narrow down coin listings by condition, country and collections/bulk lots.
- Keyword search: Search eBay listing titles for specific words. For example, if you want to find an ancient Egyptian coin, type "ancient Egyptian coin" (without quotation marks) into the Search bar. Click "Search title and description" to expand the results. Visit eBay's Search Commands page for more tips on searching with keywords.
- Advanced search: For a more precise search, eBay's Advanced Search feature gives the option to search by seller, buyer, or store. Also it is possible to narrow results to "All of these words," "Any of these words," or "Exact phrase." Search All Categories to find coins listed in multiple categories and subcategories on eBay including World and Ancient.
- If you can't find exactly what’s required, try shopping eBay Stores, tell the eBay Community what it is that is required by creating a post on Want It Now, or save a search on My eBay and eBay will email when a match becomes available.
Buy Ancient African Coins with Confidence
Make sure to know exactly what you are buying before making a purchase, research the seller thoroughly, and understand how eBay and PayPal can protect the buyer from fraudulent sellers.
Know your Purchase
- Carefully read the details in each item listings, and detect the tips that have been offered in this guide.
- Calculate and consider the delivery costs into the final price of the item. If spending a lot of money, make sure that the seller will provide insurance for the items during shipping.
- If you want more information about the coins, ask by clicking the "Ask seller a question" link under the seller's profile.
- Always make the transaction on eBay (with a bid, Buy It Now, or Best Offer). Transactions conducted outside of eBay are not covered by eBay protection programs, which can protect you against fraud.
- Never pay for the eBay item using instant cash wire transfer services through Western Union or MoneyGram. These payment methods are unsafe when paying someone that you do not know.
Know your Seller
- Feeling positive and secure about your coin purchase is very important, so be sure to research the seller before making the purchase.
- What is the seller's Feedback rating? How many transactions have they completed? What percentage of positive responses do they have?
- What do buyers say in their Feedback? Did the seller receive praise?
- Most top eBay sellers operate like retail stores and have return policies. Do they offer a money-back guarantee? What are the terms and conditions?
In the unlikely event that the product is not received or it is not as described in the product listing, eBay Buyer Protection will cover the purchase price plus original shipping.Learn more.
- Ancient African coins can be very interesting to collect, and a wide range of ancient African coins are available from varying countries and periods. When buying the coins, make sure to conduct the research on each individual item thoroughly.
- Also, don’t be afraid to contact the seller. Coin collectors and enthusiasts are more than happy to talk about their items and will answer your questions. These range from the rare and hard to find, to the affordable. There is a wide variety of collectable ancient African coins available, and these can be easily found on eBay.