Readers - I sold an item on Ebay which ebay buyer 'mrs laurence' purchased. Once Pay Pal advised me to despatch the item as funds had been cleared, I followed their instructions via recorded delivery and 'mrs laurence' left me positive feedback - All Jolly Fine - So Whats Your Problem? I hear you ask!
Three months later Pay Pal advised me that the £30 purchase price had been RETRACTED from my bank account.
I will not bore you with the amount of phone calls (TO THE PHILIPINES WHERE BOTH EBAY AND PAY PAL ARE BASED!!!!!!), emails, faxes, more phone calls, letters and further emails which then ensued, but suffice to say some two days later I was informed the following:-
- A buyer using Pay Pal, can recover the purchase price any time up to SIX MONTHS after the conclusion of a sale. So of course, they have your goods by then and are also able to get their money back
- If you despatch the goods by anything other than an expensive courier with tracking number, you have no actual proof of despatch and so Pay Pal do not accept that you have sent the goods.
- Despatch of goods by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery is not accepted by Pay Pal
- The fact that the buyer may leave you positive feedback for the item, thereby proving they have received it IS IRRELEVANT.
- DO NOT EXPECT EBAY TO GET INVOLVED OR PASS ANY INFORMATION TO PAY PAL TO SUPPORT YOUR CASE
- DO NOT EXPECT PAY PAL TO CROSS CHECK WITH EBAY
- BUT DO EXPECT TO BE PUSHED BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS BETWEEN THE TWO AGENCIES
- DO NOT EXPECT ANY OF THEM TO EVER PHONE YOU BACK
ALL OF THE ABOVE IS LEGAL UNDER PAY PAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS!!!!!!
Q: So how do you use Ebay but avoid being scammed ?
A: You cant because Ebay wont allow you to lodge an item for sale without offering Pay Pal. But if you state on your advertisement that anyone wishing to pay through Pay Pal that you wish them to contact you before bidding, then you can tell them, that you will not sell to them unless they pay you via another means, such as postal order which means you will get your actual CASH in hand and even Good Old Royal Mail, wont come to you three months later and try to seize back YOUR MONEY.
I am personally absolutely disgusted with Pay Pal and I will never ever use it again. I will certainly tell everyone of my appaling experiences in order that others may too avoid using them.
If you have had a similar experience lodge your views here and visit www.aboutpaypal.org