A big issue with fake "brand name" guitars has been growing on Ebay. The majority (about 95%) of these fake guitars have been coming out of China. You name it, Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, ESP, LTD, and list goes on. It is pretty easy to spot out this scam. Here are a few ways that you can spot them out,
1. The listing is from China
2. They give % discounts in shipping for larger purchases
3. They have many of the same listing over and over again with the same pictures from different sellers.
4. They are very broad about the guitar you are purchasing (if they mention anything about it whatsoever)
5. They talk about China's culture more then the guitar (I know, it's funny but TRUE)
6. They have private feedback (they do this because of people leaving feedback about being scammed)
7. They have ridiculously low selling prices (sorry, you can't get a new Gibson for $2.88)
8. Don't be fooled by them being verified, a powerseller, and or having an about me page!
9. Nine times out of ten, the guitar is in the wrong category
10. If you are still not sure about the authenticity of the guitar you will be purchasing, ask the sellers specific questions and follow your gut instincts.
Knowing full well that I was going to get scammed with a fake Les Paul even though the seller, again from China, stated it was the real deal, I purchased one to inspect the quality since our company sells guitars as well. Not to our surprise, the guitar was indeed a fake. A low quality fake at that. The finish was cheap, the tuners were student grade at best, the humbuckers were weak, the neck was not set in correctly, the inlays were sketchy, the hardware was junk, and the body was made from plywood! Not exactly a grade A Gibson huh?
Please just be safe on Ebay and have fun!
-Factory Direct Music
PS. If your looking for great quality guitars at unbeatable prices, you should check out "Stellar Guitars" in our Ebay Store.
PLEASE READ: It appears that the scammers are the only people who are not finding this guide helpful. This scam is effecting 100's of people daily. Please vote "Yes" for this guide below to help others from getting scammed and making the Ebay community even better!