BEWARE of "graded" items
There are a lot of sellers selling what they called new "graded" items on eBay - more and more each day seem to be appearing. I have bought a couple of graded items and been very disappointed each time.
What is graded?
Graded is meant to be something like:
- Ex-display re-boxed as new - so basically something that has been sat on a store shelf on show but not used - therefore item might be a bit dusty with some light marks from being moved about and original packaging may be creased and damaged or missing.
- Customer returns - an item that was bought and returned to the shop as unwanted so should be all as new in original box but has been opened.
- Refused / Cancelled order - item should be brand new in its box but the box may be slightly damaged due to transit i.e have shipping stickers on.
I have bought two new "graded" items and to be quite honest - I wish I'd bought second hand!!
First one was a Sony stereo - which was supposed to be "new - without original box" - it didn't have it original box when it arrived but was packed well enough in a large box with bubble wrap. The problem was it STANK of smoke (i mean wreaked of it) to the point i immediately re-boxed it and sent it back.
Second Item I bought (yes stung twice albeit from a different seller) was a DAB radio for the kitchen again supposed to be "new - without original box" this arrived just wrapped in some card board in dreadful condition - with speaker grills dented, scratched all over and generally looking rubbish.
Double check and be aware:
- You don't always notice straight away the item you are looking at is graded either because they sometime use tiny text at the bottom.
- In my opinion ANY graded item should be listed as second hand and NOT new as its deceiving genuine buyers.
- Be wary of stock pictures not showing the geniune item
- Be sure to READ the whole page if you are buying an item (especially if you are going to give it as a present).
- Check what the seller means by "graded"!!! as this seems a very loose term now.
- If there isnt a lot between a graded item and new - just buy the new one so at least you wont be disappointed!!