AS CHARITY SHOPS BECOME MORE EXPENSIVE I AM FINDING MYSELF INCREASING TURNING TO CAR BOOT SALES AS A SOURCE OF REASONABLY PRICED CLOTHING FOR MY OWN CHILDREN AND FOR STOCK TO SELL ON EBAY. HERE ARE MY TIPS
CHECK OUT THE SELLER AS MUCH AS THE GOODS -
- Avoid smokers - chances are their goods will stink and even the best laundering still leaves a residual smell making them impossible to ebay with any credability.
- Check ot the car - Estate Cars, People Carriers, 4x4's are good indicators of sellers with children
- Check out their kids - if they have an 8 year old girl and you have a 6 year old girl you may well be able to pick up some gr8 bargains !!
- Men and Grandparents are great to get a bargain from because most times they just want rid of stuff and haven't a clue about designer labels - sorry to be sexist and ageist but this is my general observation
BUYING FROM CARBOOTS TO SELL ON EBAY
- Look for big boxes of clothes on the floor in addition as the well presented items on hangers. Many a bargain can be had from a good rummage
- Don't shop too early, people are unlikely to barter things down too early on
- Often sellers will put their 'star item' up on a hanger .... if it still there at the end of the car boot then they will be starting to realise that they have been asking too much for it ... now is the time to ask them to revise their offer.
- Only buy Adams Next Gap BNWT items and Designer brands Timberland DKNY Diesel Oilily etc, second hand Primark, Ladybird don't wear well and have little resale value.
- Don't buy second hand swimwear, tights, underwear, pyjamas, dressing gowns, school uniform or baby clothes under 6 months
- Do buy fancy dress and party outfits, especially Disney, Pixar, ELC etc
- Do buy Brownie and Cub Scout Uniforms, Dance wear, Tap shoes, Karate Kits, Football Kits
- Do buy little handbags, cute unused makeup sets, feather boas, tutus etc to enhance girls bundles and unused stickers, character rucksacks, belts etc for boys bundles
- Do buy Winter Coats out of season if you have storage
- Do buy Clarks shoes if they are boxed and if you are prepared to put the effort into polishing them up like new - don't buy other brands (unless they are timberland, oilily, lelly kelly or merrell) as they have no resale value
- Aim to spend no more than 50p-£1 per item if you wish to make a profit when selling on ebay (remembering that you have to add your listing fees ontop)
- If you see lots that you like - Don't be afraid to present an armful of stuff and offer £5 this way you can perhaps get stuff for 30p an item.
3. GENERAL TIPS
Take plenty of carrier bags - and a baby in a pram if you can muster one - prams are great to hang bags on.
Take plenty of £1 and 50p coins
Be open minded, don't take a mental list
Do some research on ebay to find out what sells and for how much - eg if Gap Hoodies average £5 then there is no point in you spending £3 for one at a car boot no matter how fab the condition because with listing fees you will only be making profit in the pence.