ARE YOU BUYING OR SELLING A NINTENDO Wii CONSOLE OR GAMES ?
IS THE SALE VALUE WORTH MORE THAN £36 ?
IF YOUR ANSWER IS YES TO BOTH THE ABOVE - PLEASE READ ON BEFORE YOU BUY OR LIST
For the majority of AUCTIONS, if the item is more than £36 in value and the SELLER has not included INSURANCE in the listing, there is a high chance you will NOT be compensated if the item gets lost or is damaged in transit
ROYAL MAIL compensation schemes will only cover for the value of the ITEM and NOT the postage paid.
Some SELLERS are only covered for up to £150 if an item is lost or damaged by PAYPAL PROTECTION POLICIES
ROYAL MAIL and PARCELFORCE are separate companies and have different polices about compensation.
This guide relates ONLY to ROYAL MAIL SERVICES, for both BUYERS AND SELLERS
It may not apply to High Volume Sellers who are likely to have their own insurance and compensation schemes
This is an advisory guide and applies to ANY ITEM you are buying or selling on ebay.
BUYING ITEMS WORTH MORE THAN £36 - CHECKLIST
- Is the combined total of the ITEM(S) worth more than £36?
- Is the Seller using a ROYAL MAIL SERVICE for shipping?
- Does the POSTAGE & PACKING Section of the listing say anything about INSURANCE?
- Does the section say SELLERS STANDARD RATE?
The following ROYAL MAIL services ONLY cover for items valued at less than £36
- Royal Mail 1st Class and Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded
- Royal Mail 2nd Class and Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded
- Royal Mail Airmail (Small Packets)
- Royal Mail Standard Parcels
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
- The SELLER has a responsibility to ensure they are using an appropriate postage service and have included insurance.
- Contact the seller, prior to purchase if possible, and certainly prior to payment and make sure an insured service is going to be used.
- Check if the seller is going to charge more than it says in the listing to pay for INSURANCE so that you can make an informed decision whether to buy and how much to bid
- ALWAYS obtain any agreement to change the terms in the listing in writing using only EBAY MESSAGING.
- It is NEVER worth the risk of not checking out which services are to be used.
If you are making MULTIPLE PURCHASES, make sure your seller only makes up parcels containing items up to the value of £36 if insurance is not part of the listing.
WHICH ROYAL MAIL SERVICES DO PROVIDE AN INSURED SERVICE ?
SPECIAL DELIVERY - NEXT DAY
- If you are buying a console, the cost of postage is £20.70 (Remember the seller has packaging costs)
- Insurance cover of £500 is included in the cost
- If you are buying GAMES and other ACCESSORIES, there is a price guide provided by ROYAL MAIL that shows the postage cost, inclusive of insurance.
STANDARD PARCELS WITH ENHANCED INSURANCE
If you are buying a Console, the cost of postage should be no more than £12.24. The additional cost of INSURANCE up to a value of £500 is £3.50 (Remember the Seller has packaging costs)
There are services that do provide INSURANCE for items over £36 such as INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR and AIRSURE. The charges for these can be found in any ROYAL MAIL GUIDE
If you found this information helpful, please click on the button at the bottom of this guide. Thanks for reading !
SELLING ITEMS WORTH MORE THAN £36 CHECKLIST
As the SELLER, it is your resonsibility to ensure you have selected the appropriate services, and that you have included the costs of insurance in your postage costs.
It is a common misconception that the RECORDED DELIVERY SERVICES, cover for any loss in transit or damage for items valued at over £36 They don't !
If you DO NOT choose an INSURED SERVICE and something goes wrong, the carrier will not pay out any compensation and paypal will reverse the transaction when a dispute is investigated.
You lose the money and have no item !
Make sure you have completed all SECTIONS in the POSTAGE CHARGES SECTION of the LISTING FORM and have referred to postage and insurance in the DESCRIPTION SECTION of the listing
Remember to obtain proof of postage and a certificate of posting and keep these in a safe place. You will need them to file a claim and/or provide proof to PAYPAL that you have met their requirements to be covered under the SELLER PROTECTION POLICY
If you are in any doubt about which service to use, always check out web sites and guides provided by the carriers.
WHY HAVE I WRITTEN THIS GUIDE ?
Because I have lost out as both a BUYER and a SELLER
If you found this information helpful, please click on the button at the bottom of this guide. Thanks for reading and good luck with BUYING or SELLING