Now that my little girl is 7 months old she is becoming more interested in toys. What I have found is that she can almost sit up on her own for long periods, she is aware of her surroundings and interested in everything, and her hand eye coordination is becoming clearer at an extremely fast pace. What I have found she enjoys are:
- Toys that make noise. She loves anything she can shake especially things like wooden rattles, weeble wobbles, play eggs and stuffed animals that have a shaker.
- Stuffed animals. She is fascinated by things that are soft, have big eyes, tags and labels and are colorful. She loves the Lamaze brand of toys especially the dragon, the baby doll, the giraffe and the horse. And we have the Label Label toys that have colorful tags that are different shapes and sizes. That has been wonderful as it's easy to travel with.
- Electronic activity centers. The activity play centers that have music, pieces she can move around, bright colors and lights are of interest to her. I have two of them but the one that is for 12 month + is a bit too advanced for her and she loses interest quickly. I have found the one that corresponds to her age works best.
- A bouncer. While she cannot touch the ground on her jumperoo yet she loves to be in it for short periods of time. The one we have is a fisher price jungle theme. It has monkeys, hippos, giraffes, a lion and all kinds of shakers, colors, sounds and things to grab.
- And any kind of home items. She loves the Bodum green basting brush, measuring spoons, plastic bags, keys, baby spoons, her hair brush and comb, zippers on coats, purses, wallets and jewelry...things that she can touch, bang together, make jingle, have an interesting feel.
- Water toys. She has recently become interested in playing with toys in the bath. While we have only a rubber ducky I find it is time to get her additional items.
All babies are different but these are some basics that I am finding work perfectly for me right now! If possible I try to buy items off of other people or moms as babies grow so quickly. For example, we still use her activity mat but much less so than we used to.