Many people think about buying a boat for the summer months.
However, you will need either some experience or knowledge first ! A boat is totally unlike a car & the risks of being uninformed can be very expensive or worse !
Stop & Consider ....
There is no such thing as a cheap boat, if a boat or motor seems too good a price - it probably is ! Cavat Emptor (buyer beware)
- Where & what do you want to use the boat for ?
- Check out comparable prices for a similar boat or outboard
- Never buy a boat or outboard without inspecting first - hull must be sound, trailer roadworthy etc
- Ask the vendor where used, servicing & repairs, has it been winterised? If a boat has been abused - YOU could be paying lots to put it right !
- Beware of used trailers - has it been serviced in last 12 months, they can be expensive to repair or service if neglected
- Request a sea trial if possible or at least hear the motor running, if the vendor won't oblige, think - why not?
- If repairs are required, obtain prices & labour charges, then double the total, this will be nearer the true cost
to be continued......