Candle Safety Around the Home

By Published by
Candle Safety Around the Home
. Views . Comments Comment . 10 Votes


Having  candles around the home have grown in popularity over the last few years, and understandably so, as they can give a warm mellow glow. Unfortunately, this has also led to an increase in house fires.

If you enjoy them, don’t stop using them, but please treat them with respect.

Always put candles on a heat resistant surface

Be careful with all candles, but particularly night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic. Your TV or bath is not fire-resistant. Make sure to always place them in a proper holder.

Ensure that they are stable

Candles need to be held firmly upright by the holder so they won't fall over. The holder should also be secure.

Position them away from curtains

Don't put candles near curtains or other fabrics, or furniture and keep them out of a draught. It's surprising how much a net or voile can billow in a breeze.

Don't put them under shelves

It's very easy to forget that there's a lot of heat given off  from a burning candle. If you put it under a shelf or other surface then it can burn the surface.

Make sure there's at least three feet between a candle and any surface above it.

Keep clothes and hair away

If there's any chance you could lean across a candle and forget it's there, put it somewhere else. You don't want to set fire to your clothes or your hair.

Keep children and pets away

Children can be fascinated by flames, so make sure that they are out of reach. Pets can also cause some problems be it either an over-active dogs tail or an inquisitive cat.

Keep candles apart

Leave at least four inches between two burning candles.

Scented candles.

Scented candles burn oils to release the scent, and these oils can cause spitting. Always use a glass or metal holder.

Make sure they are out

Never leave a candle burning unattended, always put them out. Never leave one burning in a childs bedroom, or whilst you are asleep.

Use a snuffer to put them out, as blowing them can cause sparks to fly - and always double check they are out properly.


Explore More
Choose a template