Choosing a Plumber

Views 1 Like Comments Comment
Like if this guide is helpful

Choosing a Plumber/Bathroom Installer

The first thing to take into consideration is to determine exactly what work you need to be carried out.  For smaller jobs such as fitting new taps, a plumber is all you will need.  If, however, you are about to undertake a complete re-model of your bathroom you should consider looking for a bathroom installer.  A bathroom installer will not only be able to undertake the plumbing side of things, but also all the other tasks that need to be taken into consideration, such as:

  • Removal of your old suite
  • Plumbing
  • Plastering
  • Electrical Work
  • Joinery
  • Tiling

You can, of course, get a quote from a separate plumber, tiler, plasterer etc', but bear in mind that there may be periods of time when one of them is not available, extending the time of installation.

Whether you need a plumber or a bathroom installer, you need someone you can trust!.  Recommendations from friends or family are usually the best way of finding a reliable tradesperson, but be sure you have witnessed the quality of work for yourself and are happy that it meets your standards before you give them a call.

Failing this, look in the local directories.  Look for people who will give you a free and detailed quotation, and ensure that every aspect of the installation is covered, and the final price includes parts, labour and VAT.  Ask to see evidence of their work, such as thank-you letters from previous clients and call them to make sure they are genuine.  This will allow you to get a realistic opinion of their reliability and quality.

If any electrical work is to be carried out, such as having a whirlpool bath or steam cabinet fitted, you need to make sure that the installer is Part P qualified as a legal requirement.  This means that they are fully qualified to work on residential electrical systems.  When the work is complete, they must give you a Part P certificate-this proves the work they have done meets current regulations-without this, your warranty on any new items connected to your electrical supply would be invalid.

If your installation involves any work to your gas supply, such as moving a boiler, then they must be Corgi registered.  This only applies to work on gas, not water, so other jobs involving your heating system, such as re-positioning radiators do not require this.  It is not a legal requirement, however, it is recommended that your plumber should be a member of The Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering.

Have something to share, create your own guide... Write a guide
Explore more guides