It is important to cleanse a crystal when you receive it. They naturally absorb energy and by cleansing it you are removing the energy it has picked up along the way before reaching you. It is also important to cleanse your crystals after you have been working on them., such as in healing work or meditation as they absorb the persons energy when you have been healing and you can pass that energy on if you dont clean it out of the crystals.
When to cleanse
You will know when a crystal you have been working with needs to be cleansed. Quartz crystals may become cloudier, where they were bright and clear before, other crystals will lose their lustre. Some crystals physically feel denser or heavier, like they are carrying a burden or extra load.
The crystals you wear or have around the house will need cleansing regularly, depending on how much you wear them or how much action is going on in the house.
Also, you will need to cleanse your quartz crystal when you want to reprogramme it to do something else.
Methods for cleansing crystals
- To cleanse your crystal you use your energy to work directly with the crystals’. This is done through your intention – a focused mind. While holding your crystal in your hands, visualise it immersed in white light, clearing it of any unwanted energies and re-energising it. Hold it for several minutes or as long as you feel inclined. Ask “that all the energies within the crystal are transformed into divine light and love, and that it is clear and activated to its full potential”.
- Most crystals love running water. Hold your crystal under the tap and allow cold water to flow over it. As you do so, visualise all negative energies dissolving and washing away, transforming into positive healing energy
- Visualise a flow of clear, pure mountain water going through the crystal, washing away all impurities and seeing them transformed into positive healing energy.
- Rinse or bathe your crystals in rain-water, water from a spring, a stream, the beach, a river or sacred source, even in a waterfall (make sure you hold on to them or they can get swept away). Dry them naturally in gentle sunlight.
- Morning sunlight gently cleanses your crystals and moonlight is a softer way to let light filter through your crystals and cleanse them. The best time for this is a full moon.
- Using the smoke of sacred herbs such as sage, cedar, and lavender to smudge and cleanse the energetic matrix of crystals. Smudging with white sage removes negative energy from crystals and rooms in your house. (Smudging is to light the herbs and burn them, when the flame dies the embers burn creating smoke. You then pass your crystal through the smoke while asking it to be cleansed and purified.)
- Place your crystals on a bed of rock salt for 24- 48 hours to purify the crystal's energetic matrix.
- Bury them in the earth, soil or clay for 2 –7 days as this provides a slow and gentle form of cleansing. The longer you leave it the deeper the cleansing. (Make sure you the spot where you buried your crystal as they wriggle away and can get lost in the earth)