DECORATING EGGS USING DYLON MULIT PURPOSE DYE
Decorated eggs are fun to make and are ideal gifts for family and friends.
They can be used as table decorations or strung together to make mobiles.
Before decoration, the eggs must be blown. To blow an egg, hold it over
a dish and pierce the shell, and membrane, at top and bottom with a large
darning needle. When the hole is large enough, blow the egg out of its
shell. The shells should be washed in hot soapy water to remove any traces
1. Pierce tin of Dylon Multi-Purpose Dye with a can opener and dissolve
contents of dye in 500 ml / 1 pint of boiling water in a saucepan. Add
a few drops of vinegar.
2. Place egg shells into saucepan. Simmer. The blown eggs will float, so
to ensure they are evenly coloured, stir regularly and cover with dye
solution using a spoon. Check regularly and remove when required
shade is achieved.
3. Rinse in cold water and dry with a soft tissue or kitchen paper.
1. For stripes, spots and patterns place eggs in the lightest colour first
and dye for 20 minutes.
2. Once first coat of dye is dry, apply art masking fluid for water colours
with a paintbrush to those parts you wish to remain the original colour.
3. When masking fluid is dry, place into second dye colour (as above).
4. Allow to dry thoroughly.
5. Eggs can also be decorated using Dylon Color Fun Dimensional Fabric
Paints. Use Pearl, Glitter or Glossy 3-D paints to decorate eggs.