Top tips to avoid buying fakes include:
- Be suspicious about bargains. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is!
- Find out if you have any guarantees or after-sales service.
- Examine the quality of the goods.
- Check labels and packaging for misspellings and poor logos.
- Take extra care at street markets, car boot sales, pubs and computer fairs, or in other situations where it may be more difficult to get in touch with the trader after the purchase.
- You should also guard against buying fakes on the Internet. For further information, refer to the factsheet Safe shopping on the Internet