Whether planning a cycling trip or looking for a convenient way to store a laptop whilst biking to work, rear-rack carriers are a must-have for any cyclist. Strong, easy to fit and very convenient, it is no wonder that many turn to online stores when looking for ways to kit out their bicycle. This guide will assist buyers in identifying the type of carrier that is right for them, along with advice on additional help on how to find the perfect carrier for the ideal price on eBay.
Buying Bicycle Seat Post Rear-Rack Carriers
When looking to buy rear-rack carriers, buyers should make sure that they are aware of the various factors that will affect their decision, such as:
* Price - a very important aspect of any purchase, prices will vary depending on the type and condition of the item.
* Type - with a sizeable variety of kinds of rear-rack carriers available, the buyer should consider which type of carrier would suit them and their bicycle.
* Additional Items - buyers should be aware of the various items available to accompany carriers, such as bags and straps.
* Condition - with carriers available both new and used, prices will change and buyers should consider which condition they would prefer.
Types of Rear-Rack Carriers
Though they serve the same purpose, there are different kinds of rear-rack carriers to suit certain types of bicycles and to cater for a range of aims. The two main kinds of carrier are:
A simple carrier rack: where one end of the flat beam rack is attached to the bicycle seat post by a bolted ring.
* These racks are easy to attach to the bicycle seat post.
* Lightweight and not bulky, attaching a beam carrier will not alter the overall size and weight of the bicycle.
* Easily removable when not required.
* As it is only attached to the bike at one end, carriers will not be able to handle large amounts of weight.
* Due to lack of side support, any side-mounted bags may clip the wheels due to wind or when turning.
A carrier rack with a frame-like design, attached to the bicycle at both the seat post and the rear wheel frame.
* With the support provided by the design and the two attaching areas, these frames are far more capable of bearing heavy loads.
* Bags can be placed on top of and at the sides of the carrier, allowing cyclists to carry large amounts.
* More complicated to attach, due to extra points of attachment and therefore also more complicated to remove.
* Heel clipping is common due to position of the lower part of the frame.
* More costly than beam racks.
The kind of rack that is preferable is entirely the choice of the buyer, who should consider what they will be using the bicycle to carry, where they will be using it and how often. Beam racks are most advised for short trips with light items, whereas frame racks are capable of carrying much more weight safely.
What to Consider When Buying Rear-Rack Carriers
There are many factors that will affect the final choice of the buyer, as different racks have different strengths and weaknesses. Important things to consider are:
* Strength - the two different kinds of rack have different weight tolerances due to design, with some frame racks able to cope with a maximum load of up to 40kg. If having a particularly strong rack is important, buyers should be willing to spend a little more, due to the stronger and more durable materials required to create a heavy load-bearing rack.
* Load - that is, what is being placed in the rack? Beam racks are ideal for small, light loads and with both racks, panniers (bicycle rack-bags) can be put on top or attached to the sides, making for a variety of ways to carry the load. However, if there is a large load being carried, buyers should maybe consider the advantages of frame racks, with their ability to carry heavier weights.
* Material - bicycle rack carriers are made of a variety of materials, usually metal, to meet the various requirements of cyclists. Aluminium is often used for lightweight racks, whereas steel is favoured for frame racks, as it is capable of carrying heavier loads without bending.
* Weight - depending on the type of rack used, buyers will need to consider how they will balance the weight they carry. Having a rack side-bag overloaded on one side is very dangerous, because it will throw off the centre of gravity of the cyclist, so buyers should make sure that the rack and bags they purchase will meet their needs exactly, and that they do not overburden the rack with weight.
These are some of the main factors that should be considered when buying bicycle racks, though the importance of each will vary with different buyers. No particular aspect is more important than another, so buyers should decide what it is most essential to them - whether it be small and easily detachable or large and load bearing.
Additional Rear-Rack Carrier Items
An important part of buying a bicycle rack is also acquiring of the bags and carriers to go with them, which are designed exactly to attach perfectly to the bike's frame and should consider the cyclist's needs too. Due to the large bicycle market, there are many items to suit every kind of cyclist, with consideration for strength and safety being the main priorities.
'Panniers' are bag packs that can be attached to the top and sides of a bicycle rack. They are designed in a variety of shapes, sizes and materials to meet the needs of cyclists from tour bikers to those on their daily commute. Common panniers are:
* Rear Pannier - those attached to the sides of the rack, these rear panniers are often capable of carrying large amounts of weight.
* Rack Pack - placed on top of the rack, these may be hard and are often fitted exactly to the size of the rack.
* Laptop Pannier - designed especially for bicycle commuters to carry their work necessities, these laptop panniers are tough, waterproof and designed to keep items safe and out of the way whilst traveling.
* Daypack - these bags are very handy for any kind of cyclist, as once they can be removed and worn as a backpack once the cyclist has reached their destination.
These are strong, stretchy straps used to tie panniers down to the frame for extra security - particularly to prevent flapping items from flying away or distracting other travellers.
Although many panniers are made of water-resistant materials, spare rain covers are advised and used by many cyclists. Easily tucked away into a pannier pocket, these rain covers are made of bright or high visibility colours to make clear to vehicle drivers where the panniers are in low light. This is especially important with side panniers.
Although additional items are optional, panniers designed for racks are advised by most, if not all, manufacturers due to their designs - which are made to be strong, waterproof and, most importantly, safe.
Buying Bicycle Seat Post Rear-Rack Carrier on eBay
There are many racks, panniers, and additional items to choose from, and eBay is the ideal place to look with a huge range of items and prices available to suit every budget. When searching eBay, buyers should consider:
* Price - costs of items are very particular to their type, brand and condition, and search results can be adjusted through the search preferences bar to match the budget available to the buyer. With items available for both Auction and Buy It Now purchase, buyers have a choice in how they would like to shop.
* Type - whether buying racks, panniers or both, buyers should keep in mind what they need from their items, and should search for items based on what would suit them.
* Additional Items - there are many small items that can be used with racks and panniers to boost effectiveness and safety, and most are available of eBay.
* Condition - the condition of items is a large factor in the final price, and buyers should put some thought into whether they would like items to be used or new - and can adjust search results through search preferences to reflect their preference.
* Local Sellers - buying items from local sellers is a great way to keep costs down, particularly when buying something bulky like a rack that would require higher shipping fees.
For more guidance on how to search eBay, buyers should consult eBay's buying tips page for advice on how search results can be adjusted to get the perfect result. If buyers are uncertain about the products they see listed or have any questions they should not hesitate to ask the seller.
Cycling is a great way to travel, and with the various racks and panniers available to carry any weight, it doesn't even have to be backbreaking. With the help of this guide buyers should now be able to not only identify the rack that would suit them and their bike, but also begin to consider any additional items they might need such as panniers, straps and covers.
When searching for bicycle racks on eBay, buyers should be made aware of the additional security benefits they would receive by buying products using PayPal, eBay's preferred way to purchase with added eBay Buyer Protection.