How to Measure for Wallpaper and Wallcoverings
This is a guide to help you calculate the amount of wallpaper or wallcoverings you need to order. Standard UK wallpaper rolls measure approximately 10.05m (11 yards) in length and are 52cm (20.5 inches) in width. Generally people worry that they will run out of paper and very often over order. It is very easy to work out what you need so that you reduce wastage to the minimum. Consult the chart in this guide to calculate the right number of rolls for your needs. Don't forget to add the vertical pattern repeat of the chosen wallpaper to the height of the wall. Once calculated an extra roll as a contingency for errors and keep some spare in case of damage to the wall through wear and tear.
Tips for success!
- You need to buy enough paper to take account of pattern matching - and the bigger and more prominent the pattern, the more you need to allow. In general add the pattern repeat to the height of the wall.
- When you buy your wallpaper, check the labels all carry the same batch number as colours can vary slightly from batch to batch, good suppliers such as Beaumonde Interiors will only ever send you the same batch numbers and A grade quality paper not seconds.
- Take the rolls out of their wrapping and inspect them in natural light to make sure they are all exactly the same hue.
- Keep an eye on the closeness of the colour match once the paper is going up.
- If at any time you have concerns over colour consistency, stop using the paper and contact the supplier where you bought it from, quoting details of the design and batch numbers.