With a little practice and some quality products, you really can do a great job! Nothing beats having a little pampering and going to have your nails done at a salon or by your mobile nail tech, but if money is a little tight at times (i think we are all in the same boat at the mo) then this guide should help you do a quality diy.
Remember, practice makes perfect.
Ok here goes!
- The first thing we need to do is have a good old hand wash.
- Next remove any old nail polish you have on, make sure that your natural nails are free from any other oroduct (like old acrylic,silk or gel)
- Now, gently push back your cuticles with a rubber tipped pusher.
- If your natural nails are quite long, file them down a little in length and shape them to a soft, slightly rounded shape (this ensures that the white tip you are going to apply in a bit fits snuggly against your natural nail)
- Ok, now its time to take out your white (or pink, blue, black, green, purple!) nail tips and chose the size that best fits each finger. You want the tips to fit from side to side on your own natural nail. As you size up each finger, lay the correst size tip out in front of you in correct order.
- Now, apply your nail glue to the free edge of your natural nail, where you tip is going to be, Hold the tip close to the well area and gently slide the tip up to meet the edge of your natural nail, rock the tip slightly to get rid of any air pockets.
- Once you have applied all ten tips, cut then to your chosen length and using a 180 grit file, shape.
- Next take a white block and remove the shine from the white tips on each finger. Be carefull not to file your own nail, just the tip.
- Using brush on resin, paint a thin layer on the nail, staying 1/16 of an inch away from your cuticle.
- Now quickly dip your nail into the acrylic dip powder, wait a few seconds and remove any extra powder with a soft cosmetics brush (Mine is a good quality blusher brush)
- Apply a secong layer of brush on resin, this timea little further away from the cuticle than the first, Dip your nail again, wait a few seconds then gently brush off any extra powder. Repeat on all ten fingers taking care not to get any product on your skin as this can lead to lifting or an allergic reaction.
- Spray with activator or allow to set naturally for 5 minutes, sometimes activator can cause a slight heat sensation, so i prefer to allow to set naturally.
- Now do a quick reshape of the nail with your 180 grit file, if your have any bumps on the surface of your nail gently file them down.
- Next use the white block on every nail to smooth away any lines around the cuticle and go over the entire nail to smooth.
- At this point i like to apply a little cuticle oil and rub into the cuticle and the nail and buff to a high shine using a white and grey buffer block.
- Give your hands a good old wash and apply a clear topcoat or your fave polish and your good to go!
There are differnt ways to do the tip and dip so please use this as a guide only and always refer to the instructions in your nail pack.
You can use coloured tips for a more fancy look,