I used to sell this guide on ebay and many have left great feedback
I wrote this guide late last year when I first got my XDA Exec and decided to offer it for sale on ebay, I was selling it for £4.99 and sold quite a lot of copies. 99% of the time, this will work If you have a new XDA Exec and an exsisting copy of TomTom 5.
You may already notice you are having problems installing the software or even getting the TomTom application to recognize the GPS receiver. Here is a solution.
If you find this guide useful, please do vote at the end.. ALSO, you can get a fresh copy of the Latest TomTom software release in my ebay shop My Shop is here
XDA EXEC TOMTOM 5 BLUETOOTH GPS GUIDE
GPS SOLUTION FOR TOMTOM NAVIGATOR 5
By Jim Saunders. eBay user Powersellersuk.
PLEASE READ This file is copyright and not for resale. If you purchased this from any other seller than Powersellersuk then please leave them Negative feedback and report to eBay as they do not have permission to sell this file.
there are 3 key steps in making TomTom 5 work on an i-mate JasJar, XDAII Exec with a Bluetooth GPS. Many tips are scattered around in different Forums. Here is a COMPLETE overview of what to do
I advise you read each step while you are actually carrying out the instructions because you might miss something you try doing it from memory!! NOT RECOMMENDED.
STEP1: INSTALL TOMTOM 5
You do this by copying all of the CAB files from the CDROM these are found in the folder named PocketPC (e.g. F:\PocketPC) Copy all files to the PocketPC XDA Exec (Storage Card Recommended) and launch one by one from there with the Start > Programs > file explorer Program of the JasJar or XDA Exec.
So Put the TomTom CD in your desktop PC or Laptop and copy all the files from the directory of your CD named PocketPC onto your JasJar or XDA Exec (onto the Storage card recommended) You will also want to copy a voice file along with the above Cab files, These are found on the CD in the Voices Directory…
You can install voices the same manner by copying the CAB files to the Jasjar (eg from F:\Voice on the CDROM) You will need to check ehat voice you want, there is a Windows media version of each voice so you know what one it is you need.
TomTom 5 is now installed BUT DO NOT START THE PROGRAM UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO BELOW!! Remember you will need to activate your copy of TomTom using your Product and Device code.. If you do not have a Product code, your copy of TomTom is probably an unauthorized copy.
STEP 2: ACTIVATE THE WINDOWS MOBILE 2005
GPS CONTROL PANEL (HIDDEN FOR SOME REASON)
Fire up a registry editor, you will need to install one. You can download a pocket PC registry editor from various websites, I suggest searching google for a Pocket PC registry editor as ebays rules do not permit me to link to one here. "PocketPC Regedit" etc.
On your JasJar XDA Exec, Go to Start > Programs and then load the Registry editor you just installed.
YOU MUST GET THIS EXACTLY RIGHT SO MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING!!
Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\ControlPanel\GPS Settings
Delete the DWORD marked "hide"
Add a new DWORD called "Group" and give it the value of "2" (dec)
NOTE: There are different types of keys you can add, make sure you add a DWORD, Click it so the values entry appears then add the value 2 as described above.
EXIT THE REGISTRY EDITOR.
Now go to Start then click Settings. Then go to connections using the tabs at the bottom of your settings screen.
The GPS panel will now show up in your connection settings.
You now have what Microsoft for some reason decided to hide??
STEP 3: INSTALL BLUETOOTH GPS RECEIVER
If you need one, Visit my ebay shop
1. Establish a bond with your GPS and select the checkbox for serial access. This is Done by.. Start > Settings > Connections > Bluetooth
Click New Partnership… Add your BT GPS
2. Now your GPS receiver is added, In Bluetooth Settings, Click COM Ports tab at the bottom, New Outgoing Port, Choose your GPS Receiver click Next then select the OUTGOING port to 8. Click Finish
Now click ok top eight corner..
3. Go to Settings and open “GPS” control panel, select the GPS program port to COM 0 then click Hardware Tab. Set Hardware port to “None”. Click OK top right …
4. Start TomTom5, Click Preferences then GPS settings, select other Bluetooth GPS, and you should see COM 0 at the top of the list. Select COM 0 as your GPS Port and then EXIT TomTom 5. (Make sure you do exit the program so it is no longer running…)
NOTE, IF COM 0 is not in the list, Do a Hard Reset of your Pocket PC, then start again. You will want to back up any photos or other contacts before hard reset.
If it was there, GREAT, Carry on!!! See next step>>
5. Back to connection settings menu, GPS control panel again, now select COM 8 in the Programs section (the one we set up at 0 previously). Then click OK top right corner..
6. Open Bluetooth again in the connection settings menu and go back to COM Ports. Select GPS Receiver by holding the stylus down on the word and selecting edit then change the outgoing port from Port 8 to Port 0 press FINISH then Ok top right corner.
7. Go back to GPS control panel and in the Programs port select NONE.
Press OK top right…. Then OK again to close settings menu
OHHH YEA! HAPPY DAYS
8. Finally start TomTom 5 and your GPS receiver should connect automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds and click the GPS settings and you should see it has connected.
ENSURE YOU DO NOT CHANGE THE PORTS LEAVE IT ALONE!!
PLEASE REMEMBER not to go into GPS settings on TomTom and change the COM Numbers in the Other Bluetooth GPS settings.
If you turn on The Pocket PC and it seems you have no GPS receiver message in TomTom, Make sure your GPS receiver is on and simply exit TomTom and start it again. YOU MAY NEED TO SOFT RESET.
YOU MAY THINK ALL THIS IS VERY COMPLICATED AND LONGWINDED BUT TOMTOM DO NOT SUPPORT WINDOWS MOBILE 2005 AND THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET IT TO WORK. I AM NOT SURE IF AN OFFICIAL TOMTOM WIRELESS GPS RECEIVER WORKS BUT I WAS NOT GOING TO SPEND OVER £100 TO FIND OUT!
That should work for you, if it does not then you are in the 1% I have come accross where I do not have a solution to help.
I hope it was useful and you will vote below...
Please remember to Visit my eBay shop