If you get a message when you load Windows XP that says that HAL.DLL is missing or damaged then the replace the file using the following steps.
- Boot the PC from the XP Installation CD
- Get to the command prompt
- Copy the file called ntldr from the i386 folder to the root directory. .e.g c:\
- Copy the file called ntdetect from the i386 folder to the root directory. .e.g c:\
- Delete the boot.ini for the root directory. e.g. c:\
- run the following command bootcfg /rebuild
- reboot the PC.
If the same error occurs then test the hard drive, it may be damaged.