A QUICK GUIDE ON CARE FOR GAMES CONSOLES..
1) Any Games Console hates dust. Dust is mean and nasty for it. Vacuum gently (gently as you can suck important parts like cables, readers, PCB's). Invest in a really decent quality Microfibre cloth.
2) Very lightly spray your decent quality Microfibre cloth with a squirt (A SQUIRT!) of water and gently use on the outside casing.
3) Allow to air dry (should take a couple of minutes).
4) Do this once a week and your pride and joys should stay working for years. NO DUST DAMAGE.
5) Invest in a good quality lens cleaner disc (one with brushes). Use this a few times on Playstations, Playstation 2's and if you get the highly irritating disc read error this should sort it out.
6) If a disc is a problem and is covered in scratches - dont use it! It could make the laser go dodgy.
7) If the disc is dirty, finger printy, covered in take away e.t.c - then get an Isopropanol cleaner. Spray once gently and wipe from center to edge - allow disc to dry (takes less than a minute). Hey presto it should be working.
8) If this fails then there is something serious wrong. Cleaning usually fixes these problems.
9) I have very happily working and quiet games machines / consoles : Spectrum 48K / Spectrum 128K +2 / Original release Sega Master System / Sega Megadrive / Sega Megadrive 2 / NES / SNES / Original release Playstation / Original release PS2 / Original release PS3.
10) Hope this is helpful - sorry to go on!