I was looking for a brand new mobile phone yesterday on Ebay. I was alarmed at the amount of "scams" there was about. I noticed a lot of cheap or free mobiles phones on offer described as "pay as you go or pay as you talk", and without reading the description carefully you would be very disappointed. These offers tie you into a 12-18 month contract with prices from about £30.00 every month. That's a funny "Pay as you Go" Mobile, very nice monthly prices as well as your call and SMS fees.
So how can I avoid being scammed?
- Read the title and the full description carefully, don't rely on photo's
- Check the sellers feedback, proceed with caution with a low or private feedback rating
- Be cautious if the ebay account is new
- Ask the seller a question, a genuine seller will respond
- Use Paypal as this protects you as a buyer
- Use common sense, if it looks to good to be true then it probably will be
- Check the sellers other items, do they sell any other mobiles, if so check if they are a registered business seller. (located near their user name on the item for sale page)
As long as you are careful and use some common sense when looking for your mobile phone, you should be OK.