- Designs became more detailed and complicated during the early 1990’s.
- Comes in a variety of sizes. Most popular are the 1 oz, 5 oz, 12 oz and 1 kilogram.
Modern Chinese Lunar Coins
The Lunar Coins are highly sought after due to the rarity of certain Coins. These are based on the twelve-year Chinese Lunar Cycle. The Coins depict the animal associated with the lunar year it was minted.
- First appeared in 1981.
- First animal was the Rooster.
- Second year was the Dog, then the Pig etc.
- These were available as a 15 gram silver Coin and an 8 gram gold Coin.
- 1992 Lunar Completion Coins are very rare.
- 1 oz gold Rat Coins are very popular.
- 1992 -1999 saw the production of 300 Platinum Coins per year. These are extremely rare and very valuable.
- Designs and shapes of Coins became more artistic as years progressed.
- Larger Coins have less mintage now.
Modern Chinese Unicorn Coins
These Coins are quickly becoming the most popular among collectors and investors. Their uniqueness comes from the image of the mythical creature on the Coin. These Coins are quite rare.
- Minted from 1994 to 1997.
- Produced in gold, silver and platinum.
- Bimetallic Coin produced in 1994 and 1995.
- All Coins were produced for export.
- Available in two coin, three coin, four coin and five coin sets.
- Also available in a twelve coin and fourteen coin set. These sets are known as the Colossal Unicorn Sets.
- Sets can contain different sized coins made from different metals.
How to Determine the Price of a Coin
There are a number of factors to consider when purchasing a Modern Chinese Coin. As a buyer it is important to ensure that the best value for money is being obtained.
- Is the Coin in its original packaging?
- Is the original seal in place or has the package been resealed?
- Does the Coin come with its original certificate of authenticity?
- Is there any damage or cracks in the Coin?
- Are there any scratches in the surface?
- If a coin is rare and available at a low price then it is more than likely damaged in some way.
In can be hard to tell the condition and authenticity of a Coin from a picture, but eBay uses a system that protects both parties in case of any disagreements. Although this helps discourage unauthentic listings, there is still the possibility of them appearing online. Never hesitate to contact the seller and eBay Customer Support if there are any doubts over a listing.
Buying Modern Chinese Coins on eBay
Before beginning a search, investigate into the different Chinese Coins available and make a list of the Coins that are of interest. When this is done head to eBay
- First, click on the Search By Categories tab located beside the search bar. Then click on All Categories.
- This will link to the Categories page.
- Scroll down to the Coins heading.
- Click Coins to be brought to the relevant page.
- Enter Modern Chinese Coins into the search bar and press enter.
Due to the large number of Coins obtainable, it is advised to have some idea of what Coins are available and how much they are currently selling for. The more information about a Coin, the easier it will be to find it.
The Listings Page
The page containing the products for sale is known as the Listings page. Some information about the listings page,
- The number of listings allowed per page is 25, 50, 100 and 200. To change the number of listings click on the Items Per Page box found at the bottom of the page.
- Listings appear as Bid Now, Buy It Now or Best Offer. These are the three different options available to buying products.
- By default listings are sorted by Best Match, meaning the products most suited to the search are shown first.
- Searches can be edited to show Lowest Price first or Highest Price. This is done by clicking the Sort box found at the top of the page.
- The table on the left controls search filters such as Item Condition and Item Location.
The Product Page
Clicking on the title of a listing will link to its individual Product Page.
- This page contains all information relevant to product, pricing, postage and the seller.
- The Description box details the product and its condition.
- Postage and payment details are found beside the Description header. This contains the information on the price of postage and the location of the seller.
- The estimate delivery time and delivery service is also contained in the Postage and payment section.
- A photograph of the Certificate of Authenticity will also be found on this page. If there is not one, make sure to contact the seller and request one before completing the transaction.
Authenticating The Coin
Buying Modern Chinese Coins that are authenticated, graded and encapsulated is the only way to be sure that your purchase is genuine and as described. If there are any doubts about the Coin ask a third-party service to have a look at it.
Caring For The Coins
It is important to maintain the Coins quality in case they are to be sold at a later date. Scratches and marks devalue the Coin, and keeping them in their original packaging will help prevent damage. If the Coins were bought without a casing, try the following to keep them in good condition.
- Keep the Coins away from pieces of furniture that have recently been painted, varnished or chemically treated. The chemicals can oxidise and cause discolouration in the Coins.
- Store the Coins in a cool, dry space away from sunlight.
- Do not keep the Coins in jars or plastic food wraps as both of these can cause discolouration.
- Search eBay for Coin Folders and Coin Holders. These are often quite inexpensive and are a great tool for keeping the Coins safe and secure.
About the Seller
When purchasing items on eBay there are a few things to take into consideration.
- Every purchase should be accompanied with a quick search on the seller’s history. It’s an easy way to see how they’re rated by other eBay users, and if their products are as described and sent on time.
- If there is not enough detail about the Coin, then contact the seller and request more information. This is done by clicking Ask a Question, which is located underneath the description box. It can also be used to request more photographs of the product.
- If any issues are encountered with a seller then contact eBay online on the Resolution Centre page. This is found in the Customer Support drop menu, on the top right hand side of the page. The Customer Support page can help with any problems found using the site.
- PayPal handles all the transactions done on eBay and eBay users are protected by the Buyer Protection Programme.
Modern Chinese Coins are highly sought after by collectors, dealers and investors. Their value is a combination of metal, mintage and design, and the variety of Coins offers many sets to invest in. It is important to educate oneself when attempting to purchase, as more knowledge will create more confident buying. If there have any doubts about a Coin’s authenticity then make sure to contact eBay’s Support Team.