HERE ARE MY POTTY TRAINING TIPS FOR GIRLS ....
Knowing if your little girl is Ready
- Is your daughter 2.5 years plus?
- Does she tell you when she has wee-weed or pooed?
- Does she go off and hide in a special place to have a poo?
- Does she do a wee-wee 'dance' jigging about as if holding a wee in?
- Is she really interested in pottys, toilets, how ladies wee sitting down etc?
- Let your little girl see their mum older sisters,cousins sitting on the toilet as often as possible, girls love to copy
- Let them tear and pass toilet paper, press the flush, practice hand washing etc.
- Buy two potties, one for upstairs and one for down stairs - nothing fancy just basic one will do
- Let your daughter play with the potty, wear it as a hat, pour a little water in it and flush down the toilet
- Make a sticker chart to show progress (for you and her !)
Stage 1 -Potty Training
- Choose a 4-5 days when you will be at home so that potty training can start in a familar environment
- At first (Day 1-2) let your daughter run around bare bummed, she needs to see the pee coming out rather than just getting a wet sensation
- Up your little girls intake of fluids to ensure that you have some wee-wee to practice with
- Choose pure fruit juices (orange/pineapple etc) dilluted with a little water to slightly irritate her bladder so that she can identify the sensation that says 'I need to pee' more readily. If your daughter gets a taste for these sweet drinks you can always water them down more gradually as the weeks go on to the 10% juice 90% water recommended by dentists
- REMIND REMIND REMIND Ask her if she would like a wee - invite her to use the potty - would she like to earn a sticker ? every 15-25 mins
- PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE anything at all ... the tiniest of tinkles or just for sitting on the potty for a story... remember sitting still is really hard for little girls so it is a big deal worthy of praise Give stickers for everything you can - put them on her top or let her put them on a chart to see her progress, show everyone her chart and they can also praise her success
- If your little girl likes to poo privately in a special place just put the potty under the table or in the doorway or wherever she goes at the appropriate time, save a big reward for a poo on the potty, and be sure to let her flush it away !
RELAX - IF AFTER 4-5 DAYS YOU HAVE HAD NOTHING IN THE POTTY JUST PUT IT AWAY AND TRY AGAIN IN ANOTHER MONTH - YOU CAN'T FORCE THIS.
Stage 2 Into Pants (Day 4-14)
- Once your daughter is using the potty reasonably successfully for wees buy some cotton brief style pants with characters on the front Fifi, Dora, Tweenies or whatever and try to keep his her dry !
- The aim is to improve your daughters anticipation time of when he needs a wee and to teach her to pull her pants up and down independantly
- Yippee you can now leave the house !! Take plenty of spare clothes and AVOID dungerees, belts and braces, tights which hamper getting his trousers down. Dress in skirts or soft tracksuit bottoms or trousers with elasticated waists.
- Take a potty under the pram, in the car and plan your toilet stops and anticipate accidents
- If your daughter doesn't like using her potty in public you can make a game of having her wee on your car wheel before you get in the car, squat against lamp-posts, trees, down storm drains etc you and she will soon loose your inhibitions believe me !
- Remember to remind your daughter to use the potty ... especially if she is engrosed in something else ... use your stickers and praise !
- Keep a nappy sack handy for accidental poo in pants - just bag and bin the lot it is rarely worth laundering.
Stage 3 Getting from Potty to Toilet (Two weeks onwards)
- Buy a step so that your daugher can climb onto the toilet herself
- Get a portable childs toilet seat that you can take out with you. Choose something simple smooth and impervious so that you can clean it effectively. Kids can get quite attached to their seat so don't forget to pack it if you go away.
- Move the potty into the toilet so that your daughter has to go to this room to wee and poo
- Let her choose if she wants to use the potty in the bathroom or the child toilet seat on the big toilet but incentivise the toilet over the baby potty, you get two stickers for using the toilet
- Avoid using kandoo style wipes, they just delay the transfer to proper independant bottom wiping, and they are full of detergent.
- Use toilet paper, get your daughter to tear an appropriate amount, show her how to fold it and to wipe herself front to back. If she hasn't done it quite enough get her to repeat until the paper wipes clean rather than taking over and doing it for her. Independance is the key, it takes practice don't take over she needs to learn !
Stage 4 Dry at night (when ready)
- If you find that your daughter regularly has dry morning nappies you might want to try a nappy free night
- Get a waterproof cover for his matress, the ones with the terry finish are best because they don't feel like you're sleeping on a plastic bag
- Don't limit the amount your little drinks but do stick to water, milk or soya milk after 5pm no sugary drinks, no squash and no fruit juices
- Take for a wee 10 mins before bed ... then story or relaxed time, then another final trip to toilet before bed.
- When you go to bed pick up your sleepy girl and sit her on the loo for a last wee before carrying back to bed.
- Keep a nighty or pair of pj's warm on the radiator and a ready bed or sleeping bag handy to slip her straight into while you change any wet bedding
BE PREPARED FOR SET BACKS
ONCE THE NOVELTY WEARS OFF HE MIGHT DECIDE HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE A BIG GIRL AND INSTEAD WANT TO BE BABIED A LITTLE BIT MORE, AND THAT'S OK
SHE MIGHT DO IT FOR MUM AND NOT FOR DAD - SHE MIGHT BE FINE INDOORS AND NO GOOD WHEN YOU GO OUT.
STICK WITH IT, BUT DON'T LET HER GET DISTRESSED. YOU CAN ALWAYS TAKE A STEP BACK.
PLEASE REMEMBER POTTY TRAINING IS NOT AN OLYMPIC SPORT - YOU DON'T GET MEDALS - TRY VERY HARD NOT TO COMPARE / COMPETE WITH OTHER MOTHERS .... LETS FACE IT WET, DRY OR EVEN COVERED IN POO YOU WOULDN'T SWOP YOUR WONDERFUL UNIQUE LITTLE GIRL FOR ANY ONE ELSES KID SO COMPARISIONS ARE MEANINGLESS