Every day we see numerous eBay listings for replica and reproduction coins which are listed with misleading and fraudulent titles.
Often these listings fail to make clear in the item description that they are not real genuine coins, sometimes this can be inferred, but this often requires experience or specialist knowledge.
People listing these items with these dubious techniques are crooks and fraudsters. Avoid them!
Better still report them to eBay.
Do eBay Care?
From our experience, no.
If eBay receive a few complaints or notifications of wrong listing, they appear to do nothing. Their "Trust and Safety" attempt successfully to create a smokescreen to lull the average eBay member into believing that eBay care about these dishonest practices, and have measures in place to deal with them. Most of the time, eBay fail to act on reports. If you do not believe us, try it for yourself.
Try An Experiment
Find an eBay listing which you know is dishonest, and report it via the eBay Trust and Safety pages. The first thing you will notice is that they are not easy to find, and not designed to be easy to use.
If you do manage to find them and file a report, keep a watch on the item or items you have reported, and see what happens to them. The overwhelming probability is that nothing will happen. The listings will continue, and the members concerned will continue to offer their tat and dross masquerading as genuine rare coins. eBay's lack of actions is a shameful reflection on eBay as a company as much as on the scores of individual crooked and dishonest members.
Why Don't eBay Act?
Simple, they make plenty of money out of these sales.
Only if eBay start to get hundreds or thousands of complaints, or negative comments, are they likely to take action.
Waste of Time
Even if these phoney listings do not manage to catch you out, they are likely to waste your valuable time, reading them to make sure you don't miss out. They also cheat other reputable sellers because potential buyers get fed up with all the crap, and suspicious of anybody offering anything on eBay.
Reproductions & Patterns
We firmly believe that there is a place in the market for reproductions, replicas, unofficial patterns, etc., but they should be clearly titled and described. The word pattern implies an official pattern unless specifically stated to be to the contrary.
Additionally, you may like to try complaining to your local Trading Standards Office, if they are persuaded to take action, it may have more effect.
Here are a few example listings, all of which are for "non-coins", replicas, and reproductions, wrongly listed as though they were genuine coins.
* 1879 $4 GOLD STELLA FLOWING HAIR TRIBUTE PROOF
This tribute proof is 10 mil Pure 24 Karat Gold Clad in MS Proof condition.
* PROOF EDWARD VIII 1937 GOLD SOVEREIGN Magnificent 1937 Edward VIII 1937 Gold Full Sovereign modern issue. Struck to Full Proof standard with 6.4 gram of Gold, hallmarked on a milled edge.
* UK 5 POUNDS 1839 SILVER SMALL VERSION
* PROOF EDWARD VIII 1937 GOLD HALF SOVEREIGN Magnificent 1937 Edward VIII 1937 Gold Half Sovereign modern issue. Struck to Full Proof standard with 3.4 gram of Gold, hallmarked on a milled edge.
* 2001 US TWIN TOWERS MEMORIAL GOLD PROOF COIN CASED RARE
Heres a chance to own a very sought after limited edition gold proof coin commemorating September 11 on reverse a picture of the twin towers. Just look at the picture of this great example. As seen in the photograph. The coin is 24K Gold Plated on Silver. The Diameter of the coin is 40mm and the weight is 27.7 grams. The item comes cased.
* Edward VIII (8th) Penny 1937 Brilliant Uncirculated None of Edward VIII coinage was issued for general circulation. They are magnificently rare and enormously valuable. The ONLY way for most of us to own one is with this superb PROOF modern strike. Paypal, Sterling or Euro cheques accepted with no extra charge. For more items visit my website
* Spectacular Edward VIII (8th) 1937 Brass Threepence The King who Abdicated. None of Edward VIII coinage was issued for general circulation. Only a handful of 1937 Brass Threepences accidentally got into circulation and are magnificently rare and expensive. The ONLY way for most of us to own one is with one of these recent issues. Beautifully designed 12 sided Brass 3d. 5.6 gram, slightly thinner and lighter than convential threepence just like some of the real Edward VIII patterns that got into circulation. Comes fully encased in a plastic protective capsule. Two types available - professionally Toned and full BU versions. Just let me know how many of each you require. Paypal, Sterling or Euro cheques accepted with no extra charge. For more items visit my website
* 1905 Crown PROOF FABULOUS MODERN PATTERN BEAUTIFULLY STRUCK TO PROOF STANDARD
* 1887 VICTORIA JUBILEE HEAD PENNY BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED No Jubilee Head Victoria Copper coins were ever struck but now available is this Superb Modern Pattern struck to PROOF Standard. Looks Fantastic amongst a penny collection of that Era
* 1847 VICTORIA GOTHIC HEAD PENNY No Gothic Head Victoria Copper coins were ever struck but now available is this Superb Modern Pattern struck to PROOF Standard.In the style of the larger Bun Head pennies this is 34mm diameter and 18.8 gram it looks Fantastic amongst a penny collection of that Era.
* STUNNING: EDWARD VIII PATTERN PROOF HALF SOVEREIGN GOLD COIN OF THE KING WHO ABDICATED Item number: 280042707665 This stunning pattern proof half sovereign of Edward VIII, the King who came to the throne in January 1936 and abdicated 11 months later, has mirrorlike fields and is in genuine fleur-de-coin condition. The coin has been minted in gold to full proof specification and is absolutely stunning. As a guide, these patterns have sold in the past for in excess of £100.
* RARE 'WREATH' CROWN OF EDWARD VIII, KING WHO ABDICATED If you don't have a coin representing the 11-month reign of Edward VIII, the King who abdicated, you can't do better than this. The pattern crown offered here has the famous 'wreath' design that was so popular (and valuable) during the reign of George V. The coin has been minted in a gold-coloured metal and is offered in genuine fleur-de-coin condition. This crown comes from the famous Patina Collection, so you are guaranteed top quality.
* EDWARD VIII PATTERN CROWN IN STERLING SILVER, FDC If you don't have a coin representing the 11-month reign of Edward VIII, the King who abdicated, you can't do better than this. The pattern crown has been minted in solid sterling silver and is offered in genuine fleur-de-coin condition. This crown comes from the famous Patina Collection, so you are guaranteed top quality.
* Silver 1 ounce .999 fine Krugerrand Commemorative
* 1982 Commemorative Krugerrand .999 Silver NR This is the beautiful Silver Commemorative Krugerrand presented in a shimmering Proof Finish bearing the dates 1967-1982 to mark the 15th Anniversary of one of the world's most collected coin.
Was This Guide Useful?
If you found this guide interesting, informative or useful, please spare few seconds of your time to vote for it by clicking on the "Yes" button below, thanks.
You may be interested in viewing our other guides:-
Author & Copyright Notice
This page was written by Lawrence Chard of Chard Coins, and is extracted from our "Gold Sovereigns" website. We hope you find this page useful and informative, please feel free to use the information we have provided, but please note we retain copyright on all contents including both textual content and images. Please do not copy our text or images without our prior written permission.