SALT DIFFUSION USING DYLON FABRIC PAINTS
· Silk can be given a colourful yet subtle swirl effect
using Dylon Color Fun Fabric Paints and salt.
1. Wash and dry chosen garment / fabric.
2. Place a piece of silk or non-porous fabric in a batik frame
(or equivalent) and slightly dampen with water using a small sponge.
3. Dilute fabric paint by mixing one part water to two parts paint in a
container. Apply two or three colours of diluted fabric paint to fabric
with a soft brush.
4. Sprinkle coarse salt crystals onto the fabric in a pattern or randomly.
The paint will be drawn towards the salt, creating an unusual effect.
5. Allow to dry thoroughly, then gently brush away the salt to
show the effect.
6. Place a clean cloth over the design and iron on a hot setting for
1-2 minutes to fix the colour.
Hints for Salt Diffusion:
For best results use on light coloured fabrics. The diluted nature of
the fabric paint may affect colour-fastness, therefore hand washing
separately is recommended.