Sewage Regulations

Like if this guide is helpful

Many people are confused when it comes to which regulations apply if you are considering installing your own private sewage treatment system.

All underground installations require Planning Permission and all sewerage and drainage systems require Building Control Approval under Section H3 of the 2002 Building Regulations.

If you are discharging less than 2M3/day (11 person's)  to land then you don't require a Consent to Discharge from the Environment Agency, but at the moment, all discharges to watercourses require them.  However, this will change in April 2010 when any discharge to watercourse under 5M3 (25 persons) will NOT require a Consent but the plant MUST be EN 12566-3 2005 Certified.

Discharges from septic tanks can ONLY go to land, NOT to watercourses as they are too polluting.

For further help please contact:


TEL. 01757 288022

Have something to share, create your own guide... Write a guide
Explore more guides