Windows Vista is a step-up in terms of eye candy but it can slow your system down a bit. There are 2 things you can do to speed-up the Aero interface in Windows Vista:
Method 1: Disable Transparent Glass Effect
1. Right click on the Desktop and select Personalize.
2. Select Windows Color And Appearance.
3. Uncheck Enable Transparency.
Method 2: Disable Windows Minimize/Maximize Animation
1. Click on the Start Menu, enter SystemPropertiesPerformance in the start search box and hit Enter.
2. On the Visual Effects tab, uncheck Animate Windows When Minimizing/Maximizing.
3. Click OK.