There is a Part two to this guide with pictures of fakes on ebay right now! And I've explained how I knew they were fake.
All the pictures on THIS guide are real. And are of MY own bags.
The light in some of the pictures is not great so they may seem darker than they actually are.
There are some really good fakes out there, even experts can't tell the difference between some of them so be thorough in your checking and try not to leave anything out.
For a really helpful video on how to spot fakes follow this link:
Ok, please don't go thinking I'm a complete expert but I know a few things that can help you tell the fakes from the real thing.
1. The Louis Vuitton LV Logo
This is an obvious giveaway for some of the really bad fakes.
The LV logo is a capital L and a capital V one on top of the other, most classic bags or purses also have three different small symbols around the LV logo.
These are both real LV bags.
The classic monogram is brown leather with printed lighter brown LV and the three symbols.
They also come in black and white leather with coloured symbols, denim, leather with cherries over the top, in shiny leather with the symbols embossed in the same colour.
There are more designs but these are the most popular.
Some of the bags don't have the monogram but have different coloured squares with the words 'Louis Vuitton Paris' on some of the squares, this is called 'Damier Canvas'. Also some with no monogram only lines going horizontally across the piece all in one colour, this is called 'Epi Leather'.
2. The Packaging
An authentic Louis Vuitton bag or purse should come with full packaging.
- Dustbag - must have Louis Vuitton or LV written somewhere on the front, always in different shades of tan.
- Box - must have at least Louis Vuitton on the front (may have other writing), comes in tan or brown, can have a lid or a pull out drawer type design.
- A bag - dark brown bag MUST have Louis Vuitton, Maison Fondee En 1854, Paris on each side.
- A materials card - a small cream card with (most likely) 'Coated Fabric, Cowhide Leather Lining' and 'Louis Vuitton, Malletier A Paris' on one side and 'Textile enduit, Doublure cuir de vachette' (It just means the same thing in French) on the other side.
A dustbag A medium size box A small carrier bag
A materials card
If the product does not have this packaging it may not be authentic so ask the seller if you can see good pictures of all the packaging if it is not in the main picture. I suggest you ask to be sent the packaging aswell.
3. The StrapsLouis Vuitton straps are ALWAYS tan. Unless new ones are coming out that you know for sure aren't don't buy a bag that doesn't have tan straps. They will get darker the more you use them but they are always tan. Never any other colour. Some of the straps have gold studs on them too. The studs are cone shape and always gold.
This picture is slightly orange and the bag is quite used.
The stitching is ALWAYS yellow and make sure it's very neat and in a constant line.
4. The Zips, clips and links
Louis Vuitton zips, clips and links are ALWAYS gold, with the exception of the slightly less popular collections that don't have the Louis Vuitton monogram anywhere on them.
ALL the zip handle parts have either Louis Vuitton in a circle with Louis at the top and Vuitton at the bottom (see the picture above in the middle).
the LV logo embossed into the metal, this will be on the smaller products like coin purses (see the right picture above).
The links and clips ALL say Louis Vuitton or LV on them somewhere (see the left picture on the first clip part on the right).
The stitching around the zip line is always very neat. Watch out for a non constant line and loose parts.
Again there is ALWAYS yellow thread apart from on the bag itself.
My Tips for Buying Louis Vuitton Bags
- Always look for bad stitching if it is coming loose or is not in a constant line it's a fake
- Ask for all the packaging, as much as possible
- Louis Vuitton bags are very high quality and do not fall apart easily so if a bag has fallen apart be careful it may be a fake
- Read the sellers feedback, the comments and not just the positive ones, try to go for sellers that have at least 96% positive feedback
- DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS, YOUR PAYING FOR IT AND YOU DESERVE TO KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING FOR YOUR MONEY
- ALWAYS ASK FOR A RECEIPT!! LOUIS VUITTON RECEIPTS ARE PRINTED ON CREAM PAPER AND HAVE THE LOUIS VUITTON WRITING AT THE TOP, IF ITS FROM A DEPARTMENT STORE IT'S PROBABLY A MORE EXPENSIVE ONE LIKE NIEMAN MARCUS OR HARRODS
- IF THE PRICE IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE CHANCES ARE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE! DON'T FALL FOR A GREAT BARGAIN!