Nothing says “I love you” quite like a cute teddy bear and one of the undoubted kings of the cuddly bear market are the Me to You Tatty Teddy range.
The amount that has been bought by people for various occasions have fuelled the market for used bears and there are now thousands of the cuddly toys available to buy on eBay..
The following guide gives a history of the company as well the factors to take into account when buying used bears and how to buy them safely and securely using eBay
What Are Me to You Bears?
- Me to You bears are the brainchild of entrepreneur Stephen Haines who started the parent company Carte Blanche Greetings back in 1987.
- English illustrator Mike Payne approached Haines in that same year with his first sketched design for the Tatty Teddy.
- The firm started selling the Me to You card range, including the Tatty Teddy brand, in 1995.
- Bears didn’t actually appear on the shelves of greetings card retailers until the turn of the century in 2000.
- There have now been a number of different generations of the Tatty Teddy and the grey design has stayed the same throughout.
- The following sections explain the aspects to look out for when buying the teddies and the different versions that can be bought.
Me To You Bear Sizes
Me to You bears can be bought in a wide variety of different sizes ranging from keyring sized all the way to huge lifelike bears.
The following table outlines the different sizes available.
Generally used just for keyrings but can also be smaller and more affordable bears.
4” to 5”
Smaller teddies that are too large for keyrings. Kept in display case and can retain value in this way.
6” to 7”
Slighter larger and regularly come with added extras such as cosmetics. Some are sold in display cases.
8” to 10”
Mid-sized bears that are designed to be more cuddly than the smaller varieties.
Mid-to-large sized bears that are available in a number of varieties.
16” to 20”
Reserved for special occasions and are large in size.
24” and larger
Largest sized bears for extra special occasions.
Me to You may conjure up images of Valentines Day to most but they can be bought for many other occasions. Listed below are the special occasions for which Me to You Tatty Teddy bears specifically cater:
Various different birthdays including 1st, 16th, 18th, 21st, 30th 40th and 50th
- Back to School
- Driving Test
- Fathers Day
- Get Well
- Good Luck
- Love & Romance
- Missing You
- Mothers Day
- New Baby
- New Home
- New Job
- Olympic & Jubilee
- Summer Holiday
- Thank You
Limited Edition Used To Me Bears
- Sometimes Carte Blanche release limited editions that coincide with large scale events and are seen as commemorative by some.
- Events that bears have been made to remember include the Olympic Games, and there are even regional variations that can be bought in certain geographical areas by tourists that visit them.
- These bears are limited in both number and the period over which they’re available for sale. It means they’re more collectable and tend to retain future value.
My Blue Nose Friends
- Toys that were created in 2008 to sit alongside the Tatty Teddy range as “friends” in the Me to You bears story.
- There are over 100 different cuddly toys in total and they are released periodically in sets of anything from 4 to 6, with Limited Edition animals released as one-offs.
- Each toy has its own name and breed with animals such as gorillas, cats, dogs, and birds released in the range.
- My Blue Nose Friends are available in a number of different sizes and generally don’t pass the 10” mark.
Taking Care of the Tatty Teddy
Buying any cuddly teddy on eBay means taking greater care when searching through the vast array of available.
Teddy bears are an item that retains a great deal of value over time and there are a number of things that can be done to make sure it stays in pristine condition.
The following bullet points outline them with a short description alongside each:
- Keep the tags attached – This affects the value of the bear more than anything else. If they are still in mint condition and attached, the bears can fetch vast amounts.
- Make sure the packaging remains intact – Not as important as the tags but it does make the teddy a lot more valuable if kept in a perfect condition.
- Store in the right place – Where a teddy is displayed can be critical to the condition the bear stays in. It should be kept in a display cupboard, if possible, and beware of dust being attracted if kept out on a mantelpiece or shelf.
- Wash them properly – Me to You bears come with specific instructions on how to clean them if they become dirty. These should be adhered to and failure to do so can damage the bears irreparably.
All of these points must be taken into consideration when buying, as with used bears the buyer will have to take far more caution. If the buyer has any queries relating to them, they should Ask the Seller..
How to Buy Used Me to You Bears on eBay
- Me to You Tatty Teddy bears are just one variety of cuddly toy that is available to buy on eBay. The site is home to thousands of different toys and searching for one gives you access to an invaluable resource which is the sellers that sell the items. Their experience in cuddly toys can be very helpful when going through the buying process.
- To search for used Me to You bears on eBay, go to the Dolls & Bears category. From there go down to the Bears sub-category and click on the More Categories option. That will bring up more options and Me To You will be one of them. By clicking on that the buyer will be taken to the catalogue of Me To You bears on eBay.
- In order to narrow down the search even further the buyer can choose just to include used Me To You bears. To do this, go to the options on the left hand side and tick the Used box underneath the Condition category.
- Buyers can also search using a number of other criteria including Item Type, Material, Theme, Age and others.
- There is an alternative to this and you can look for items by using eBay’s search option. This is done by typing search terms into the box present at the top of any eBay page.
- When looking through the Me To You bears on eBay be sure to check over everything on the item page to make sure everything is completely to your liking.
- If at any time you’re unsure about item details, don’t hesitate to Ask the Seller a question to find out more. There is even a Buying Tips section that will provide even more help if required.
- When ready to buy a product either place a bid, choose to Buy it Now or place your Best Offer. Using PayPal will make sure the transaction is secure and goes through as smoothly as possible.
Safety Considerations When Buying
- When purchasing an item from a seller on eBay it’s important to take many factors into consideration, with the person’s transaction history of utmost importance. Look out for whether there has been any negative feedback left on the profile and what the nature of the problem was.
- Most eBay sellers will have feedback left on their profile and if none is present it’s another reason to go over everything in minute detail before placing an order.
- Before lodging a bid read through the conditions of sale a quantity of times and if there’s anything that looks untoward then use the Ask the Seller option.
- All buyers, when purchasing a used Me To You bear should always check the product description properly to ensure that the product is as expected.
When it comes to buying cuddly toys, the Me to You Tatty Teddy range are a mainstay of the industry. One time or another most people have bought a product from the collection for a loved one or family member, and it has meant a burgeoning trade in collectable used items.
When buying a used Me to You Tatty Teddy on eBay there are a number of questions to consider before anything else. These include:
- What size do you want the Tatty Teddy to be?
- Is there a specific occasion you want to buy it for?
- Have you checked the condition of the bear with the seller?
- Are you paying an appropriate amount, if it’s a limited edition?
The answers to these questions should never limit the search and the final choice will always be down to you, the buyer.
When you’re happy with the item, use PayPal to give you piece of mind that the transaction is going through in the most secure manner possible.