Wedding Planning Checklist
I have worked as a wedding corodinator for almost three years and after working with over 250 weddings I have put this check list together - I hope you find it useful!
This check list provides a general guide to when you should carry our certain tasks in the run up to and after your wedding. This does, of course, differe depending on how long before your wedding we are now - so you may need to adjust the timings to suit your own circumstances.
To do as soon as possible . . .
- Set your budget - be realistic and also try to establish who is going to contribute
- Decide if you would like a civil ceremony of a church wedding.
- Complite a provisional guest list for the ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception
- Research and book your ceremony venue
- Research and book your wedding breakfast and evening reception venue
- send 'Save the Date' cards to your guests - especially if you are getting married at a popular holiday time such as August or Easter.
- Decide if you are going to organise and plan the wedding yourself, or use a wedding planner
- Choose your Chief Bridesmaid, Best Man and other attendants
- Arrange wedding insurance
- Select and book your photographer and videographer
- Order your cake - you can decide on your design and colours at a later date
- Decide on the type of music you would like for your evening reception - good Bands and DJ's are hard to find! Ask your venue for recomendations.
- Book your wedding cars, if required
- Start thinking about your wedding dress - and then start shopping!
Six to Four months before the wedding . . .
- Choose outfits for your bridesmaids and flower girls - don't forget about shoes and accessories!
- Choose outfits for the groom, best man, ushers and page boys
- Choose a florist, and visit them to discuss your requirements. Always make an appointment in advance.
- Choose your wedding rings
- Order your wedding stationary - invitations, place cards, order of service etc.
- Finalist your outfit including lingerie, shoes and accessories
- Choose your wedding favours and any other venue decorations
Four to Two months before the wedding . . .
- Send out your invitations - remeber to include information about how your guests can book accomodation at your venue
- Book musicians for the reception and ceremony, if required
- Organise your gift list
- Discuss hair styles with your hair dresser
- Finalise your cake designand colours
- Book your honeymoon - don't forget to check passports and arrange innoculations if necessary
One to Two months before the wedding . . .
- Buy all your accessories
- Choose gifts for your attendants
- Book your hair dresser and make up appointments for the morning of the wedding
- make sure that everyone involved in the wedding knows what is happening and when.
- Discuss any 'must have' photographs with your photographer
- Check that the groom, best man, father of the bride and anyone else making speeches are thinking about what they are going to say!
- Finalise menus, numbers etc with your venue
During the month before your wedding . . .
- Try on your full wedding outfit and practise walking in your shoes! If your shoes are new use sand paper to scuff up the soles so you don't slip!
- Pack for your honeymoon and order travellers cheques
- Finalise your table plan for the wedding breakfast
The Day Before the wedding . . .
- Arrange for the cake to be delivered to your venue (unless it is been delivered on the day)
- Have a manicure - everyone will want to see your wedding ring so your nails need to be perfect!
- Have your overnight bags delivered to the hotel
- Relax, have a long bubble bath and an early night
On the Big Day!
- Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get ready - take your time!
- Eat breakfast! Far too many brides don't and they do regret it - even if you can't manae much just have a little something.
- Relax and have fun!
After the wedding . .
If possible ask for family and friends to assist with some of these tasks while you are away on honeymoon
- Have your wedding dress and other outfits taken home Have all your gifts taken home, or if you are going away taken to a friend or relatives house until you return
- All hired items will need to be returned, so make sure some one colelcts them from your venue and takes them back to where they need to be!
- Send wedding cake to any guests who weren't able to attend on the day.
- Send thank you cards
- Arramge for your dress to be professonally cleaned and packed away
- If you have changed your name, make sure that everyone has been notified
- Enjoy married life!