Many dogs have stomachs and digestive systems that can take any amount of hammering, and these robust animals can chew up anything they find in the street and saunter off with no ill effects whatsoever. They’re not all like that, however, and some dogs have highly sensitive stomachs that their owners must cater for in a dietary regime.
On eBay there are many dog food products that have been especially formulated for the dog with a sensitive gut, so that it can continue to lead a healthy and active life despite its inherent limitations.
Sensitive Stomach Signs
If a pet dog has one or more of the following symptoms then it almost certainly is suffering from either a sensitive stomach or from a digestive disorder:
- Occasional vomiting
- Occasional loose stools
- An unusual amount of flatulence
Some dogs cannot manage to process a lot of variety in their daily menu or handle the sorts of ingredients that force their guts to work harder than usual. The same is true for people, as there are some who can wolf down the most spicy, bulked-out foods full of chillies, onions and cheese that would make others vomit.
Tackling the Problem
Once the dog is suspected to be suffering from a sensitive stomach, the owner first of all needs to take a look at its diet and simplify it as much as possible by purchasing specialist dog food from eBay. All the extras need to be stringently excluded, along with a few other reductions:
No table scraps
Forget tossing the dog bits of greasy chicken and lamb bones.
Only offer one type of easily digestible treat.
Keep the dog away from bins and other sources of unauthorised foods.
The next step is to take a good look at what the dog’s diet actually is. When a particular dog food purchased from eBay is made out of higher quality ingredients it will be much more easily digestible than one containing lower quality products.
If the dog food from eBay habitually consumed by the animal contains a high level of fat then this could well be the main cause of the problem. It is much more difficult for the dog’s gut to digest fat than proteins and carbohydrates, so the best type of dog diet from the eBay online store is one that contains only a moderate amount of fat, somewhere around 15 per cent.
The dog’s digestive system can also be significantly helped to work more efficiently by the addition of certain fibrous foods to its diet. There are dog foods that consist of both insoluble and soluble fibres, such as beet pulp, which can be used to help make the dog’s gut more robust and efficient at digesting regular foods.
Minerals and vitamins, especially the ones that have known antioxidant properties, can also help to promote the dog’s digestive functioning. Owners of dogs with overly sensitive stomachs need to ensure that the dog’s diet contains plenty of beta carotene, selenium and appropriate amounts of Vitamins A, C and E – all supplements that can be bought from eBay.
Try Different Foods
If a sensitive stomach is suspected to be the cause of a pet dog’s digestive or other problems, changing its diet to a different regime that meets most of the above criteria could work wonders for its quality of life. At the same time, the animal will need to be receiving the right intake of nutritional elements appropriate for its breed, age and general condition.
Wherever the diet is changed, this should be introduced gradually rather than overnight to avoid too much trauma, which would introduce its own problems and make the matter worse. Anything up to a week can be taken for the transition period, gradually mixing in bigger and bigger amounts of the new type of food from eBay as the older one is slowly withdrawn.
Food intolerance rather than a form of allergy is the main condition responsible for a dog producing loose stools, vomiting or displaying any of the other symptoms characteristic of an improperly performing digestive function.
If a dog does have such sensitivity then there are a number of ingredients that can right away be withdrawn from its daily diet in an effort to locate exactly what the problem is. Just as many people are intolerant to specific food ingredients and have to avoid them, the same is true for dogs with food intolerances.
- Foods high in fat. High fat foods can cause pancreatic inflammation because they are relatively difficult to digest and the gut has to work overtime on them, causing stress and irritation that is reflected in an unhappy dog’s behaviour.
- Chocolate. Dogs’ digestive systems cannot metabolise theobromine, which is found in chocolate, and if a dog is fed this as a treat it could have a seizure.
- Tea and coffee. These are just as bad to give a dog as a treat as chocolate is.
- Grapes and raisins. These can result in kidney failure.
- Nutmeg. This can give the dog seizures.
- Raw eggs. These can contain salmonella infections which are bad for humans and dogs alike.
- Onions. These can cause problems with the circulation of a dog’s blood.
- Macadamia nuts. These nuts, such a treat for humans, can in dogs cause serious tremors and even lead to paralysis.
Food intolerances in dogs can arise from a great many causes. The reaction can be sparked off by dyes, flavourings, contaminants, preservative and even by natural proteins that are a part of the dog food. The solution is normally to feed the dog what amounts to a pure diet, relatively high in proteins and carbohydrates and low in fats.
There are also specially formulated therapeutic diets on eBay which contain high levels of hydrolysed proteins. A conventional source of natural proteins is used in these but the protein element is then severely broken down into molecules that are so small that the digestive and immune systems effectively let them through without any problems.
The sorts of ingredients to look out for when selecting food from eBay for dogs with sensitive stomachs include the following:
- Flours such as soy flour
- Flaxseed or cod liver oil – small amounts of these add omega-3 to the dog’s diet and help make the coat shiny as well as ease digestion.
- Brewer’s yeast
- Rice – this is a good source of carbohydrates for dogs and brown rice is the best type to get from eBay as it contains more nutrients.
- Garlic- this can help in eradicating any fleas or tape worms. It can also help fight a range of infections, although it should only be administered in small amounts.
- Meats such as beef, liver, chicken, lamb and tuna should be ground up before being offered.
- Peanut butter, flour and bone meal mixes, with brewer’s yeast and carrots mixed in as well for a soothing meal.
- Spinach, broccoli and carrots when added to eBay dog meals should be put through a food processor first.
- Bone meal is an excellent source of calcium for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Raw meaty bones are good as treats, if the dog’s teeth can handle them, and look out for dog foods on eBay that contain powdered milk, as this too is a rich calcium source.
How to Buy Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs on eBay
The simplest and quickest way to choose dog foods on eBay specially formulated for dogs with sensitive stomachs is to go to the eBay site and browse through the products on offer. First of all, go to the drop-down menu of categories that appears towards the top of the page and select Pet Supplies. This will then open a list of sub-categories. Go to Dog Supplies and click on Dog Food. This will redirect you to a full listing of all the various types of dog food available on eBay.
An alternative method of using the eBay site, if you know just what you are looking for, is to search using a specific term. Type the words into the search box at the top of any page to do this and be taken straight to the desired product. For more tips on searching eBay, look at their Search Tips page.
There are a variety of things that can account for a dog’s distressed behaviour for no obvious reason, with the problem manifesting itself in intermittent loose stools, vomiting and other symptoms. The first thing to suspect is usually its diet, though worried owners should also seek the advice of a vet just in case there is a more serious underlying health issue involved.
Start by checking the food currently being administered to see if it contains any of the ingredients mentioned above, which could be causing a food intolerance reaction. Change gradually to a pure diet and work on isolating the problem by examining the dog’s behaviour and seeing whether the issue is cleared up by eliminating certain types of ingredients and/or adding others.