Ok I have written this guide for one because i do not sell or have any intention of selling autographs, and two I want to help people buy wisely.
This is not a difinative guide but a helpful one.
1) read through all the description, completely.
2) If there is a rare autograph going for say £20-00 the why is it going so cheap? when in a London auction house it will be say £500-00
3) If its an older star and they died in say the 1950's - check to see what colour the signature is in and if its in ink, biro, marker (will not be genuine if the pen's were not even invented then..lol)
4) Is it a reprint? and many older signed photos are usually on 7x5 photos as this was the size sent out more than often from studios etc.
5) A C.O.A is not a proof of a genuine signature, most of them can be run up on any P.C and unless they are from a reputable autograph dealer with unlimited guarentee's they are not worth the damage to the enviroment by using the paper.