helpful hints and tips on moving house 6 weeks before you move to make your move alot easyer
UP TO 6 WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE.
- Plan ahead. Arrange and cofirm your moving date as far in advance as possible.
- Get your packing boxes
- Make a full list of all the fixtures and fittings you're leaving behind. Also make a detailed list of all the main items you are taking with you.
- Have a look around your home and decide what you are going to take and what can be left or even sold, If you have a few items you do not want and then is there a monetary value to them. If there is then try selling them here on ebay or contact your local clearance company.
- Have a look in your garage, loft and basement this tends to be where items are stored which really if ever used. Bear one thing in mind when moving - extra weight cost money. A 3 bed house with cluttered loft and garage may cost as much as a 4/5 bed house. The less you take the cheaper it will be.
FIVE WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- If you have decided to pack yourself, start gathering boxes and special-purpose containers for the items like lamps and paintings.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Notify the post office, magazines,credit card companies and banks, friends and family of your change of address and set up a forwarding service if necessary.
- Contact utilities (gas, water, electricity, telephone) companies to schedule disconnection of services on the day following your move if nobody is moving in.
- Call utilities in your new city to arrange for services to start the day you move in(if unoccupied)
- If you are planning to move major appliances, schedule disconnection of appliances in your new home.Complete any repair work on your home.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Time to start clearing out what you do not want: and making a list of what you are keeping, and what you will be taking with you.
- If you are self packing, start now, make sure you label each box, and if you have the time or inclination then compile an inventory and stick to the relevant box. PLEASE REMEMBER EACH BOX HAS TO BE LIFTED. If it is to heavy then it will have to be re-packed. If possible, box essential items together, and label these boxes accordingly.
- Make sure you have your driver's license, car registration and insurance records.
- Contact your doctor and dentist for copies of your medical records.
- Plan your food purcheses so as to waste as little as possible when you leave and clearing up all frozen items.
- Contact your childrens school and arrange for records to be forwarded if necessary.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Cancel any delivers such as newspapers.
- Make sure to empty any secret hiding places for valubles and spare house keys, If you have any items of value, contact safty deposit boxes company to look after your items until you have moved, many people will be in and out of your home during the next few weeks.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- One week to go and it will be all over
- Dispose of toxic and flammable items that carn't be moved. Drain petrol and oil from tools such as lawn mowers: movers will not be able to transport them if full
- Pack any essential items that you will need while moving van is in transit.
- Pay outstanding bills
- Contact the removal company to make arrangements to finalise your account. They usaually contact you for payment. It is usual practice to now pay for the move before the move day,especially if paying by cheuqe.
- Contact your estate agents and solictors to confirm everything is set for completion on the allocated move day.
ONE OR TWO DAYS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Time to check everything is ready.
- Contact the removal company and re-confirm the moving arrangements, get the time of arrival, find out how long it wil take, what time will they be finish loading and what time should they arrive at the new house
- Contact the estate agents to confirm approximately when to expect the keys.
- Empty and defrost the fefrigerator and freezer: clean both with disinfectant and let them air out.
- Write directions to your new home for the van operator and include phone numbers where you can be reached in transit.
DAY OF THE MOVE
THIS IS THE DAY YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR
- Most importantly, make sure you are ready for the move
NOTE I would recommend you pack a suitcase of cloths and important items you may need over the next few days: i.e. Money, wallet, valuables, laptops, computer storage drives, medication, toiletries, tea and coffee, this is just a emergency back up in case of any serious delays, any items you may need for work.
NOTE Please be aware it is not unusual for the removal firm to get held up in traffic, If they are not there at the allotted time then call the firm for a update, in some major cities traffic is a major concern and the removers could be sat in traffic for a hour or so before they reach you.
NOTE If you are packing yourself, all items must be boxed in suitable containers and ready to be moved, if on the day you are not ready and the movers have to pack for you, they will charge. All items must be moved from the loft, and the garage and garden ready.
- Please make sure the removers have the right address, it's not unnheard of that they have written it down wrong and off they go to the wrong address, they are only human after all.
- At the new home, you just need to let them in and tell them which room each items is to be left in.
- It is of great importance that during the move, there are any issues: you contact the removal company, so they can discuss and resolve the issue before the move is complete, to ensure that you are happy with the service provided.
THE END OF THE MOVE
- I would suggest have a nice relaxing soak or shower, and just take it easy, you will be aching for a few days from all the lifting and carring.
AFTER YOU HAVE MOVED IN
- There are so many things to remember when moving house; you need to notify the relevant authorities, and utility providers.
- Banks/building society
- Credit and store cards
- Cable/ satellite tv provider
- Driving licence
- Vehicle Insurance
- Mobile phone provider
- Council tax
NOTE When you notify your bank, mobile phone provider and credit/store cards they will automatically update the credit reference agency on your behalf.
NOTE When you notify your council they will update the electoral role, which will in turn will assit with your credit rating and also allow you to vote
- You need to cancel existing delivery and services
- Window cleaner
- Newspapers, or to cancel existing arrangements and arrange new services ect.
- Telephone, broadband, internet, tv cable and satellite provider
- Home contents insurance, NOTE this could be done before you move to ensure you are covered at your new home, some policies will cover your goods whilst in transit.
- Water company
- Electric supplier
- Arrange with the post office to re-direct your mail, this takes approximately 10 working days to action, so we would suggest doing it a few weeks before you move in and provide your completion dates as the re-direction date.
- Take meter readings at both old and new home, notify the providers immediately, there is nothing worse than finding you have not finalised the bill and the people who moved into your old home have not done so and you are paying for their utilities, keep a copy of the reading until you get your closing and opening bills
I HOPE I HAVE HELPED YOU WITH A FEW TIPS AND REMINDERS AND YOUR MOVE GOES WELL
moving solutions manchester/cheshire