Last year two of my friends and I bought 5 sets of Oakley sunglesses. Unfortunately only two of them were real. We lost £270!!!
This guide should help you so that you don't make the same mistake.
Recognise Fake Oakleys on eBay
- Oakley sunglasses come with pouch/bag , box, documentation. Don't bid if the auction doesn't include any of these.
- Look at the seller's feedback. You should be able to tell if he/she has tried selling fakes before. Don't just look at the percentage, read the comments.
- Be careful if the price is under £50.00, the RRP can be 5 times that so would they be that price if they were real?
- You can buy fakes from Europe; they only cost 4-10 euros. In an auction they only include a bag. Sometimes they have a tag and/or sticker marked oakley. They are fake! Don't buy them. Only buy if they have documentation and box.
- Check the sellers other items. If he/she is selling more than one set, but has low feedback they could have bought a load of fakes and just set up an account. If they have high feedback, or a shop then they are probably trustworthy.
- An obvious one. If in the description he/she claims he/she is selling an old set, but is also selling others then they were probably bought on the cheap!
- Read the description fully, there may be some small print in the auction saying they are not real. This is against eBay's policy.
- Never buy any if it doesn't say anywhere that they are real or Genuine.
Once you have received them
- To be sure it would be best to go to an Oakley dealer.
- If you don't have a local Oakley dealer make sure all documentation is there.
- If they are metal then it is unlikely they will be fake, but don't assume they are real.
- Make sure the sunglasses you bought aren't plastic if they are only made in metal.
- As far as I know the bag is black or white, but I am told some come in different colours. The bag has a tag with 'Genuine O software' and 'Plutonite lenses should only be cleaned with the provided sunglass bag. Oakley, inc.'
- The tag on the bag would have been stitched on perfectly, no funny angles as if put on at home with a sewing machine.
- It shouldn't fall apart. I've seen fakes where the 'O's fall off and the arms easily come apart.
- Many contain little screws.
When in doubt don't buy. On receiving them get them checked out. If they are fake leave negative feedback to worn others.
I hope this helps. If You disagree with the information please e-mail me. You can contact me through my eBay shop: