100% Green Barley Grass Powder (175g - 6.2oz)
‘Nothing added, nothing taken away’
YOUR PRICE ONLY £14.99
The green, green grass of heaven
You might be forgiven for looking suspiciously at anyone who admitted eaten grass every day. But it would only be because you had not yet heard of the potential benefits of a powder made from organically grown, young green barley leaves. Immature barley leaves contain a variety of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids (the building blocks of proteins - essential for tissue rebuilding, cell repair, and blood clotting), essential fatty acids, proteins, chlorophyll and active enzymes etc, and, perhaps, many valuable nutrients which have yet to be recognized - they are easily assimilated by the human body to provide instant access to the nutrients they contain. Green barley grass doesn’t contain every nutrient, but it comes closer than any other food – it provides the nearest thing to perfect food that this planet offers, and can help the body reach and maintain its optimal level of health.
When grown organically, harvested at its nutritional peak and carefully processed into a fine green powder, the natural goodness and nutritional benefits are recaptured. Compared with wheat, green barley grass contains 26 times as much potassium, 4 times the amount of vitamin B1 and 20 times the amount of vitamin E. Furthermore, it offers 15 times as much protein and 11 times more calcium than an equivalent amount of cow’s milk, 13 times as much carotene as that of carrots, 65 times as much vitamin C as that of apples, and 5 times as much iron and 4 times as much magnesium as spinach. No wonder it has earned its reputation as a superfood! Because of the nutrient profile and high alkalinity of green barley grass, some people claim it can help counteract many of the deficiencies and excesses of the modern Western diet and lifestyle. Green barley grass appears to help promote optimum functioning of the body, and can be very valuable in helping to counteract many modern day illnesses.
- A Unique Superfood
- Natural Minerals
- Amino Acids
- Superoxide Dismutase (SOD)
- Body Alkaliser
- Etc, etc
Does Green Barley Powder Hold the Secret of Eternal Youth?
Glutathione is a small protein composed of three amino acids: cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine, which are found in Rolls Choyce Essential’s green barley grass powder (see nutritional information below). The enzyme glutathione is said (medical research – University of Michigan) to help slow the ageing process. It is produced by insects, animals – and within the human body. It is in all cells – destroy the glutathione in cells and they disintegrate. Healthy young people produce enough of the anti-ageing chemical to keep them looking fresh-faced and ward off disease. It prevents the damage that shrinks the tissues in all organs, including the skin. It also prevents infectious diseases. As we age, we cannot produce as much glutathione and the ravages of time take their toll. In a study of elderly people in Southfield, Michigan, simple blood tests were carried out and found that those with high amounts of glutathione in their bodies were healthier than those who had low levels. The U.S. doctors found that a small group of survivors – people who lived into their eighties and nineties – had levels of the enzyme similar to people 50 years younger. People whose glutathione is depleted suffer from a higher incidence of diabetes, heart disease and arthritis. Initial tests of the elixir were carried out on insects. Ageing mosquitoes were given glutathione and lived 40 per cent longer than those that did not get it. Recent tests of the enzyme have shown it can be used with some success to treat cancer and increase sperm counts. It is unclear exactly how glutathione protects the body, but high-fat diets and other noxious stimuli might deplete the body’s own supply. Dr Ann Walker, a lecturer in nutrition at Reading University, said glutathione is an important anti-oxidising enzyme which helps the body mop up substances associated with cancer, heart disease and chronic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
Rolls Choyce Essential’s 100% green barley grass (Hordeum vulgare) is organically grown in winter and early spring in the clean, green, pristine environments. It is certified through ‘Oregon Tilth Certified Organic’ who are fully accredited with the USDA National Organic Program. The water used to irrigate the crops is pumped from deep within the earth bringing with it large amounts of minerals. It is made from the powdered leaves of young barley grass plants, which are grown slowly for the highest possible nutrient content. It is only cut once when it is eight inches tall. It is dried by a special process to ensure the living enzymes and nutrients are not damaged or compromised, dehumidified air rather than heat is used to remove the moisture. This process retains twice as much chlorophyll as conventionally-dried products. Rolls Choyce Essential’s green barley grass powder contains only the barley grass leaf - the natural plant fibre and other benefits of the grass are maintained. On an equal weight basis, Rolls Choyce Essential’s green barley grass has more fibre content than bran. Some products use only the dried juice of the barley grass. These products typically dilute the product with lactose, brown rice or arrowroot as a carrier of drying agents. We give you 100% pure green barley grass. Nothing more, and nothing less. Bulking agents (e.g. corn syrup solids, rice flour or genetically engineered maltodextrin) are not used. Our green barley grass is also free of pesticides, chemicals, preservatives, additives and fillers.
The extensive range and balance of its nutritional constituents, along with green barley grass’s value in a wide range of conditions, makes it the choice of many natural health enthusiasts. Others find this superfood particularly valuable at helping counteract the health disadvantages of a rather less-than-perfect diet. Green barley grass seems to have no side effects and generally speaking will not ‘clash’ with any medication you may be taking. But because of its high alkalinity and potassium content, you are recommended to take advice from your doctor if you are on prescribed drugs, have advanced kidney disease, or are susceptible to over alkalization. If you decide to give Rolls-Choyce Essential’s green barley grass powder a try, remember that natural health foods usually need time to have an effect. It can often take three months or more of regular use to notice any difference, so you do need to be patient!
- The essence of health, green barley grass is a unique superfood; it is reputed to help counteract fatigue, arthritis, allergies, skin problems, ulcers and many other conditions.
- Rolls Choyce Essential’s green barley grass is grown organically, harvested at its nutritional peak and carefully processed into a fine green powder - the natural goodness and nutritional benefits are recaptured.
- Green barley grass is one of the richest sources of nutrients on earth – its regular use can significantly support the body’s own health promoting mechanisms.
- Clinical research shows green barley grass supplements can boost cardiovascular health. The researchers found that supplementation with green barley grass reduced the levels of total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, and oxygen free radicals, in addition to protecting LDL-vitamin E content and inhibiting LDL oxidation.
- The chlorophyll in green barley grass is an excellent oxygen transporter, which can help the human body think more clearly - it flushes the lymph system, nourishes and oxygenates the vascular system, cleanses the intestines, is healing and soothing to all mucous membranes, eases pain and aids in cell building.
- Green barley grass has been shown to contain a lot of elements that are missing in human body cells. These elements include enzymes, hormones, and certain nucleic acids.
- Its value to sports people includes its ability to provide easily assimilated energy-given nutrients; its help in counteracting the pain of lactic acid build up in muscles and the way it seems to allow their bodies to recuperate faster after each event. It appears that green barley’s alkalising effect and its nutritional profile can enable many athletes to perform better and for longer periods.
Note: Rolls Choyce Essential’s green barley grass powder is not a multi-vitamin supplement - it is a concentrated combination of nutrients - the nutrients found in green barley grass work together to benefit the body as a whole. For example, vitamin C aids in the absorption of calcium and iron. Iron is required to convert beta-carotene to vitamin A. Calcium and pyridoxine help absorb vitamin B12, which, in turn, is essential for the activation of folic acid. All of these nutrients are found together in green barley grass, along with others, which support complimentary functions.
Yoshihide Hagiwara MD
‘Deep green leaves have always been the nutrient source of life and well being for the human body…until the 20th century disrupted the time established wisdom on man’s habits. It is my belief that the steady depletion of the natural green power in the human diet and its displacement by other nutrients of questionable value constitutes the most serious threat of all to good health.’
Japanese scientists isolated an isoflavonoid from green barley grass having strong anti-oxidant properties, especially concerning lipid peroxidation. A flavanoid called 2-0-GIV was found to have further anti-oxidant properties as well as calming allergies and inflammation (Shibamato et al 1994).
- Green barley grass contains the potent antioxidants superoxide dismutase (SOD), 2'-O-glycosylisovitexin (2'-O-GIV) and vitamin E succinate. Each of these important phytochemicals has been shown to help prevent lipid peroxidation caused by free radicals.
- Green barley grass is rich in chlorophyll, which gives barley and many other vegetables their rich green colour. Chlorophyll has been shown to have detoxifying, anti-inflammatory, deodorizing, and antibacterial benefits.
- The therapeutic and health normalising effects of a superfood such as green barley is far in advance of artificially synthesised vitamin and mineral tablets.
- Green barley grass contains glucan, which is like the fibre from oat bran. Glucan is reported to reduce cholesterol levels.
- Green barley grass is good for the immune system and circulation. It has been used as a bronchodilator, which helps with asthma and bronchitis and may be effective in reducing the risk of suffering from cancer.
- Green barley grass is very high in organic sodium which keeps calcium in solution in the bloodstream and also dissolves calcium deposited on the joints making it an excellent treatment for people who suffer from arthritis.
- Green barley grass is also very calming to the nerves and aids digestion by improving the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
- Due to its alkaline nature, Rolls Choyce Essential’s green barley grass powder is neutralizing, balancing and nourishing for the body, making this your perfect choice for natural nutrition to help balance your system.
- Green barley grass can also help eliminate problems with acne and scarring related to acne problems, and can be very beneficial health wise to the body's liver and kidneys by helping to restore damaged tissues.
The emerald green colour of green barley powder indicates it is rich in chlorophyll, the pigment which enables plants to manufacture all the food they need from carbon dioxide and energy received from the sun. Interestingly enough, chlorophyll is almost identical in structure to human blood! It is useful in cases of skin injury and has been known to help speed the healing of cuts, scalds and ulcers when applied topically. When taken internally it can be beneficial for inflammations such as peptic ulcers, gastritis, pancreatic and so on and it can also help in reducing body and mouth odours! Enzymes are the little catalysts which regulate all the chemical changes within our cells. For instance, they help us digest and absorb our foods, heal injuries and inflammation and produce energy; they are also involved in moving our limbs, in our thinking and breathing processes, and they generally keep the whole body functioning optimally. Over 3,000 different enzymes have already been discovered and it is quite probable that more will eventually be identified. So vital are they that if even one is lacking, the chain of chemical reactions can be broken, causing imbalances which can result in illness. Raw foods are known to contain large amount of enzymes, and this is one of the reasons they are so popular with naturopaths when treating a whole range of disorders and disease conditions. Enzymes act within different temperature and acidity ranges, depending upon their type and function, but they are readily destroyed by cooking and most forms of processing. So a diet full of refined and processed foods may well be lacking some of these vital ingredients. Green barley grass contains numerous enzymes.
Nature's most health-promoting nutrient
Green barley grass contains an abundance of chlorophyll (green pigment) which has shown can increase the number of red blood cells (RBC's) and thus the body’s ability to use oxygen. Chlorophyll is beneficial for the body’s blood, organs, and overall immunity to disease by helping to build red blood cells, purify the blood, and detoxify the organs.
- It’s a powerful detoxifying agent for the liver.
- Removes carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.
- A strong internal deodorizer for the entire digestive tract.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidant properties, and wound-healing properties.
- Cuts excess cholesterol, triglycerides and other blood lipids (fats).
- Nearly has an identical chemical structure to hemoglobin, the body's critical oxygen and iron-carrying blood protein.
- Stimulates hemoglobin production, which oxygenates and energizes the entire body.
- Chlorophyll has been studied for its potential in stimulating tissue growth, in stimulating red blood cells in connection with oxygen supply, and in reducing absorption of dietary carcinogens.
- Helps to reduce pain.
- Helps protect against, and to detoxify radiation in the body
- Promotes bowel health and regularity.
Scientific studies have found;
- Cereal grasses help the growth of beneficial bacteria (1948).
- The healing of peptic ulcers (1950)
- Helping to prevent against cancer (1979)
- Lowering of serum cholesterol (1948)
A notable enzyme to be found in abundance in green barley grass is the antioxidant ‘superoxide dismutase’ (SOD), which is an extremely powerful 'anti-aging' antioxidant. This has been shown to reduce the toxicity of radiation, and is also known as a rejuvenator, since it helps revitalize cells and reduces the rate of their destruction, thus slowing down cell ageing and deterioration. The aging process has been directly linked to decreasing amounts of superoxide dismutase (SOD) in our system. Increased amounts of superoxide dismutase (SOD) cause our body to repair itself quicker. Superoxide dismutase (SOD) may help combat many degenerative diseases and can be beneficial for allergies, too. Additionally superoxide dismutase (SOD) acts as an anti inflammatory enzyme and cancer preventive enzyme. Enzymes are dependent upon vitamins and minerals for their activity and of course green barley grass supplies these, in abundance, too. Healthy bodies are naturally mildly acidic, but Western dietary and lifestyle habits tend to increase that acidity and acidosis, as it is known, is thought to lead to a number of the diseases and degenerative conditions of today’s society.
An enzyme called P4D1, isolated in a laboratory in California in the 1980's in green barley grass. P4D1 was found to do two things in the human body. It is the first known substance to actually stimulate repair of the DNA molecule. It is possible that disease cells can be repaired with P4D1 so that when they reproduce they will actually produce good cells. P4D1 has also been shown in laboratory tests to eat the protein sheath off a cancer cell so that the white blood cells can attack and destroy them.
The following enzymes have been identified in green barley grass:
Fatty acid oxidase Hexokinase
Superoxide dismutase (SOD)
Generally, the balance of minerals and the actual mineral content of a food determine whether it acidifies or alkalises the body. However, the way the food is prepared and whether it is raw or cooked, fresh, frozen or canned can also affect the availability of some vital nutrients, thus making it comparatively more acid or more alkaline. Acid forming foods are not necessarily ‘bad’ – as in all things balance is the key! However, most people in the UK eat far too many acid forming foods and too few alkalizing vegetables and fruits, whilst acidifying factors such as coffee, tea, smoking, and stressful lifestyle greatly increase the need for alkalizing elements. Because green barley grass is rich in readily absorbable minerals (especially potassium, calcium and magnesium), it is highly alkaline. One of the minerals for making green barley grass so alkaline forming is potassium. This is used within our bodies for many functions, including the process of energy metabolism. A deficiency of potassium can cause a broad range of disease conditions – one of the most common being debilitating fatigue. Fatigue can emanate from a variety of different factors such as physical exercise, tension, mental stress or lack of sleep; but each of these has something in common – the storing of sodium and the excretion of potassium. Once potassium levels are depleted, the body’s own self defending and regulating systems endeavour to store the remaining potassium within the cells. Muscular exercise then becomes much more difficult and our brain and nerves begin to dull. Gradually we begin to feel both mentally and physically exhausted, sleepy and lethargic. Green barley grass contains trace amounts of more than 50 other minerals.
Since the typical Western diet is genetically deficient in potassium and abundant in sodium, it can often exacerbate fatigue by further upsetting the delicate sodium potassium balance. Foods rich in potassium, such as green barley grass, help restore the balance. They can often have quite a noticeable energizing effect as the cells regain their vigour and mental processes are stimulated as the oxygen supply to the brain is increased. In a trial undertaken at the Muto Dermatologic Hospital, 75.5 percent of patients suffering from skin diseases (including acne, eczema, atopic dermatitis, and chloasma) – (the appearance of dark patches of pigment, especially on the face) improved after regular oral administration of green barley grass. Long standing and recurrent conditions were found to respond particularly well and the effects were noticeable within six months. It was believed that green barley grass had helped clear the skin by improving blood circulation, appetite and bowel movement, whilst its chlorophyll content had helped reduce suppuration.
Green Barley Grass Health Benefits:
- Combats fatigue.
- Increases energy.
- Stimulates brain function.
- Aids concentration.
- Relieves headaches and menstrual pain.
- Helps to speed recovery from illness.
- Reduces the appetite.
- Acts as a gentle diuretic.
- Improves tolerance to heat and humidity.
Suggested Use: Mix into water, juice, smoothie, yogurt, salad dressing or other food. Begin with 1/4 of a teaspoon a day and gradually increase to 1 full teaspoon a day (Half the dose for children 5 – 15 years). You may take more or less depending on your lifestyle. Gradually increasing the dosage will reduce the likelihood of experiencing detoxification symptoms. Because heat and acidity can affect enzymatic activity, it is recommended that Rolls Choyce Essential’s green barley grass powder not be taken with any of the following: cranberry or prune juice, hot drinks or tap water.
Caution: Green barley grass is high in Vitamin K - Persons on Warfarin or other anti-coagulants should exercise caution when using green barley grass and should consult their doctor/pharmacist before commencing regular use. Also, barley grass may stop lactation in nursing mothers - Not recommended while nursing or pregnant. Because of its high alkalinity and potassium content, you are recommended to take advice from your doctor if you are on prescribed drugs, have advanced kidney disease, or are susceptible to over alkalization.
Storage: Keep away from moisture and sunlight with the lid fastened securely. Do not store barley grass powder in the refrigerator where condensation could cause nutrients to oxidize and break down.
Ingredients: 100% pure organic green barley grass powder (175g - 6.2oz)
- Note: Rolls Choyce Essential’s 100% green barley grass may vary from year to year due to natural climatic changes such as sunlight and cloud cover. This exclusive analysis below is based on an average.
Active Ingredients/Typical Nutritional Information per 50g: Energy (480kj), Calories (169Kcal), Calories from Fat (11.5Kcal), Total Fat (1.25%), Cholesterol (<0.50), Sodium (9mg), Carbohydrates (30.4g), Dietary Fibre (17.5g), Sugar Content (0.9 g), Protein (11.3g), Chlorophyll (antioxidant - 34 mg), Moisture (2.4 %), Ash (3.9 %). Vitamin Content: Vitamin A (Beta Carotene 1.8mg), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin 0.40mg), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin 0.40mg), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine 0.64mg), Folic Acid (53mcg), Vitamin B3 (Niacin 4.29mg), Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid 1.10mg), Vitamin C (13. 90mg), Vitamin E (24mg), Vitamin K (1.2g). Mineral Content: Calcium (280mg), Chromium (110mcg), Copper (Gluconate - 26mg), Iodine (2.20mg), Iron (7.7mg), Magnesium (110mg), Manganese (1.77mg), Molybdenum (0.02mg), Phosphorus (224mg), Potassium 1250mg), Zinc (Chelate - 1.11mg). Enzymes & Antioxidants: Superoxide Dismutase (SOD - 85,000 Units), Peroxidase/Catalase (113U/g), Lutonarin (7-O-GIO - 2.31mg), Saponarin (7-O-GIV - 0.63mg). Amino Acids: Alanine (1.31mg), Arginine (1.67mg), Aspartic Acid (1.60mg), Cysteine (1.10mg), Glutamic Acid (2.10mg), Glycine (0.98mg), Histidine (0.382mg), Iso-Leucine (0.64mg), Leucine (1.39mg), Lysine1.26 Phenylalanine (0.92mg), Proline (1.6mg), Serine (0.89mg), Threonine (0.92mg), Tyrosine (0.75mg), Valine (0.94mg).
Other Micronutrients found in green barley grass powder: Boron, Chloride, Cobalt, Nickel, Selenium, Sulfur, Biotin, Choline, Vitamin B12, Vitamin F, Vitamin P (Citrin), Aspartate aminotransferase, Cytochrome oxidase, DNase, Fatty acid oxidase, Hexokinase, Malic dehydrogenase, Nitrate reductase, Nitrogen oxyreductase, Phosphatase, Phospholipase, Polyphenoloxidase, RNase, Methionine, Tryptophan.
On 07-Apr-07 at 20:39:19 BST, seller added the following information:
|Pay instantly with your debit or credit card through PayPal.|