Lemon essential oil information
Lemon essential oil is extracted from the Citrus limonum (also known as Citrus Limon), of the Rutaceae family and is also known as cedro oil (which refers to terpeneless oil).
This clean smelling citrus essential oil is not only good for helping you make decisions and to improve your concentration, but cuts down on acidity in the body - thereby assisting the digestion, as well as with rheumatism, arthritis and gout, while also sorting out cellulite, abscesses, boils, carbuncles and acne.
Lemon oil has a sharp, fresh smell, is pale greenish-yellow in color and is watery in viscosity.
The shelf life of lemon oil is only 8-10 months, if it is to be used in aromatherapy, but can still be used in fragrance therapies after this time, such as vapor therapy.
A native of India, this evergreen tree grows up to about 6 meters (20 feet) and has dark green serrated oval leaves with pink/white flowers that are highly perfumed. The trees have thorns and fruit that turn from green to yellow on ripening.
The name is derived from the Arabic 'laimun' or the Persian 'limun'. The tree was brought to Europe by the Crusaders in the Middle Ages and the fruit has a good content of vitamins A, B and C - an ounce a day was given to sailors in the Royal Navy to alleviate scurvy and other vitamin deficiencies.
In Japan, it is used in diffusers in banks to reduce worker-error and it is a popular flavoring agent for food and perfumes.
Lemon oil is extracted from the fresh fruit peel by cold expression.
The main chemical components of lemon oil are a-pinene, camphene, b-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, a-terpinene, linalool, b-bisabolene, limonene, trans-a-bergamotene, nerol and neral.
Non-toxic, but can cause skin irritation and sensitizing in some individuals. Since it is a photo-toxic oil, it should not be used (even in low dilution) before being exposed to the sun.
The therapeutic properties of lemon oil are anti-anemic, antimicrobial, anti-rheumatic, anti-sclerotic, antiseptic, bactericidal, carminative, cicatrisant, depurative, diaphoretic, diuretic, febrifuge, haemostatic, hypotensive, insecticidal, rubefacient, tonic and vermifuge.
Lemon oil can be very beneficial to the circulatory system and aids with blood flow, reducing blood pressure and helping with nosebleeds. It can help bring down fever, helps relieve throat infections, bronchitis, asthma and flu.
It boosts the immune system and cleanses the body, improves the functions of the digestive system, and it is helpful with constipation, dyspepsia and cellulite.
Lemon oil soothes and relieves headaches and migraines and is helpful for rheumatism and arthritis. It is also used for clearing acne, cleaning greasy skin and hair, as well as removing dead skin cells, easing painful cold sores, mouth ulcers, herpes and insect bites.
Lemon oil helps to fight against infections, aids the digestive system, soothes headaches, migraines and muscular problems and clears greasy skin and hair.
- Burners and vaporizers
- In vapor therapy, lemon oil can be used for colds, voice loss, flu, depression, stress, lack of energy and fatigue. It furthermore relieves irritation and also helps improve concentration, lifts the spirits, clears the mind and helps in decision making.
- Blended massage oil or in the bath
- Lemon oil can be used in blended massage oils or diluted in the bath to assist with digestive problems, lack of energy, fatigue, infections, flu, obesity, overweight, rheumatism, depression, stress and as a general tonic.
- Lotions and creams
- Lemon oil can be used in a cream or lotion to clear congested skin. The astringent properties are great for oily skin conditions. The antiseptic effect of lemon oil on the other hand, helps to treat any cuts, boils and minor wounds. The rubefacient action of the oil further helps to sort out cellulite, as well as helping with acne.
- Mouthwash or gargle
- If dispersed in a very diluted form in warm water, it can be great to use as a mouth wash or gargle to sort out mouth ulcers.
IF YOU REQUIRE ANY ASSISTANCE WITH THIS PRODUCT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH US!!!!