A Complete Epitome of Practical Navigation And
Nautical Astronomy Containing All Necessary Instructions for Keeping a
Ship's Reckoning at Sea, etc.
Rare navigational treatise by J. SW. Norie, with additions and enlargements by W. H. Bolt. John William Norie (1772-1843) first produced his
Complete Epitome of Practical Navigation in 1805 and it went through
numerous editions for more than a hundred years and was used by merchant
seamen extensively during the last century of sail, being found aboard
most East Indiamen – a service that prided itself on its seamanship
skills and standards of navigation – as well as deep-sea square-riggers
in the clipper ship era and beyond. Norie began his career working with
William Heather, who had in 1765 taken over chart publishers Mount and
Page and who ran the Naval Academy and Naval Warehouse in Leadenhall
Street from 1795 - the Naval Warehouse provided navigational
instruments, charts, and books on navigation. Norie took over the Naval
Warehouse after Heather's retirement and founded the company J.W. Norie
and Company in 1813. After Norie's death the company became Norie and
Wilson, then in 1903 Imray, Laurie, Norie & Wilson. In addition to
the tables in this book, Norie covers every aspect of the art of
navigation and nautical astronomy under sail, taught with young officers
in mind. Illustrated with beautiful plates and maps. Bound in original leather, with gilt rule and black leather title label to the spine a little creased, but in good shape with light external wear, some splitting externally at the joints but hinges intact. Pages with some minor foxing and staining, also well maintained. A few minor pencil notations here and there, also a single stamp to the title of A. J. Moxham, noted builder and railsman, see below, else unmarked. Measures 10" x 6.25" x 2.75". Genealogy:
MOXHAM CASTLE...LOST FOREVER
THE WHITTIER MIDDLE SCHOOL IN LORAIN, OHIO was built on the site of the
ORIGINAL MOXHAM CASTLE.
Whittier Middle School:
"Whittier was built on the foundation of the Moxham Castle.
A. J. Moxham, who was planning to start a steel plant in Lorain,
built the Moxham Castle in 1890. The thirty-roomed mansion,
four-story building had a theater on the fourth floor, and a swimming
pool in the basement.
In 1898, the castle was dismantled stone by stone
and moved to Sydney, Nova Scotia. The castle
in Sydney was a unique and familiar landmark until a
fire destroyed it in 1966. "
The only remaining part of the SYDNEY MOXHAM'S CASTLE IS THE
WONDERFUL GATEHOUSE located on KINGS ROAD,Sydney, at the entrance
of the MOXHAM grounds... now the site of CABOT HOUSE APARTMENT
BUILDING. ABOUT 50 feet of the original stone wall has also
Mr.Arthur J. Moxham was born in WALES in 1854, and came to the U.S. as a
young man,taking up residence in KENTUCKY,working in a Steel Mill.He
married a Helen Coleman in 1876. His next stop was to ALABAMA and
formed a rail making company. In 1894 he moved to LORAIN,OHIO where
he built another rail mill and the home he called his castle.
In his mid 40's, he retired only to be convinced by one
H.M. Whitney (Whitney Pier named after him) (Whitney Avenue also),
who convinced MOXHAM to come out of retirement and help to
construct and be a shareholder in a new,state of the art,steel mill
to be located in Sydney,Nova Scotia, on Canada's Atlantic Coast.
MOXHAM'S wife was not happy to relocate to Sydney,as her
new castle was her pride and joy. She reluctantly moved, when promised
her castle would be dismantled,and rebuilt in Sydney,on the shore
of beautiful Sydney Harbor.
During the construction,the MOXHAM'S son,Tom was killed in a
accident on the plant,and shortly after,in 1902,MOXHAM and wife left
SYDNEY, never to return.He died in New York in 1931.
MOXHAM'S CASTLE was one of only 2 castles in Canada....the other
being CASA LOMA, in Toronto. It was used as a hospital for the
military during World War 1, and used from time to time as a
residence for a few prominent families, until it's demise in 1966.