1980 ford capri GL unfinished projectSee original listing
06 Oct, 2012 13:46:51 BST
newcastle upon tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
Used: An item that has been previously used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of ... Read moreabout the condition
re-listed due to timewasters :/
very quick sale needed !
1980 Ford Capri GL
Hi, up for sale is my 1980 Ford capri GL. bit of a story with this one
I bought the car at the very beginning of summer. the previous owner had hand painted it with black hammerite paint ( fo reasons unknown to us ) so i decided to restore it. First off, the shell has been completely stripped and resprayed. when i bought the car, the only few areas of rust were the normal scuttle panel. upper door pillar and rear wheel arch/lower quater. i payed a professional welder to repair the scuttle and door pillar and tackled the rear wheel arch myself.
one of the only reasons i bought the car was due to condition of the shell. the shell is SOLID. i have owned a few capris in the past and this is possibly one of the cleanest i have ever seen. the underside of the car has been stripped chemically to reveal nothing but fresh metal.
the paint job on the car might need some attention. it was quite a cheap job, its OK but not MINT. the colour is alabaster beige, very easy to get a hold of.
ok, a make a list to make things easier to understand...
what have i done to the car ?
* stripped and resprayed
* rebuilt the 2L engine with brand new gaskets, oil seals, brand new 32/36 webber carb. new filters etc. the engine bay is in showroom condition. chrome rocker cover, new performance clutch. 4 speed gearbox ( the old sport type ) which is the strongest. also new fuel lines to and from the engine. the engine has been painted blue along with the gearbox. new clutch cable etc. So the engine bay is spot on
* the interior is good but the rear seats need some attention. the tops of the rear seats have ripped and worn due to sunlight exposure over the years. the 2 front seats are in good condition, no rips of tears. all been washed along with the carpet which is just as good conditon. again, its been taken out and wahsed. the dashboard as you would expect has a few crack in it, but its been re-coloured black by an upholstery company along with all the plastics, glovebox etc. also the 2 rear boot walls have been sprayed black along with the parcel shelf supports
* the car has had alot of bodywork. the rear drivers side wheel arch was completely cut out and replaced along with the lower quater section. i have made a good job of it although the inner lip needs sealing and finishing. the scuttle panel has been welded and repaired and looks excellent and untouched.
the paint job is good apart from a few areas such as the roof which needs a flat and polish and the lquer on the doors has run i places. also, the doors were transported when they were wet and theres marks where the blankets have imprinted on them. again, a flat and polish will fix this
so to conclude. the shell is spotless, NO rust which is strange for a capri. would be ideal for a re-shell. newly built engine which starts everytime, all timed up correctly. new brake pads etc.
now the not so good poitns. i am selling this car as project due to the fact i simply dont have the money or time to finish it. im 19 years old and have better things to be doing with my money at the moment.
* the bonnet was ditched because its was rotten. i was planning on buying a new one but i didnt get around to doing that
* the paint job is ok but needs some attention in areas. the doors need sanding and re-polished along with the roof. apart from thats its good, a nice colour
* needs a parcel shelf and the rear seats sorting out
door cards need putting back on along with wing mirrors, doors handles and locks, various bits of window trims, seals mouldings ( all supplied with the car )
* need a new set of wheels. will come with the standard GL steelies but would benifit from new wheels and possibly being lowered.
apart from that the car just needs a tidy up. all the hard work has already been on, all it needs now is bits and bobs putting back together and it will be finished.
this is a genuine sale. everything described as above is real and i have described everything to the best of my ability. the car has NO tax so will need to be trailered away but still have a years MOT.
please no tyre kickers and so on. im 19 years old and just want rid. i have spend the last 3 months working on it day in day out, i dont have the time or money anymore
if anyone is interested, give me a call on 0191 2715512 im based in the NE3 area of newcastle Upon Tyne