Details about Ancient Greek Greek Terracotta Tile Depicting Cicada 332-58 BCSee original listing
22 Nov, 2013 18:40:47 GMT
Approximately £44.59(including postage)
[ 0 bids ]
Free Standard Int'l Shipping | See details
International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. help icon for delivery - opens a layer
International delivery - items may be subject to customs processing depending on the item's declared value.
Sellers set the item's declared value and must comply with customs declaration laws.
As the buyer, you should be aware of possible:
- delays from customs inspection.
- import duties and taxes which buyers must pay.
- brokerage fees payable at the point of delivery.
Your country's customs office can offer more details, or visit eBay's page on international trade.
default, default, Singapore
About The Greeks
Ancient Greece was an ancient civilization belonging to a period of Greek history that lasted from the Archaic period of the 8th to 6th centuries BC to the end of antiquity (ca. 600 AD). Immediately following this period was the beginning of the Early Middle Ages and the Byzantine era. Included in Ancient Greece is the period of Classical Greece, which flourished during the 5th to 4th centuries BC. Classical Greece began with the repelling of a Persian invasion by Athenian leadership. Because of conquests by Alexander the Great, Hellenistic civilization flourished from Central Asia to the western end of the Mediterranean Sea.
Classical Greek culture, especially philosophy, had a powerful influence on the Roman Empire, which carried a version of it to many parts of the Mediterranean region and Europe, for which reason Classical Greece is generally considered to be the seminal culture which provided the foundation of modern Western culture
About This Ring
This very interesting fragment of a terracotta tile has been excavated with its relief motif of a fly in complete preservation, and dates from approximately 332 BC – 100 BC. It would have been part of a wall tile used as decoration in the living room of an ancient Greek home.
Cicada Symbolism & Mythology:
The cicada is an ancient polyvalent symbol: resounding themes are resurrection, immortality, spiritual realization and spiritual ecstasy. For the ancient Greeks and Romans they sang in intoxicated ecstasy and were sacred to Apollo and cognate with the dionysiac bacchae and maenad.
There are several independent Greek sources that tell the story of Eunomos and the cicada. Eunomos, an accomplished cithara player and singer, was performing in a competition when one of the cithara strings snaps. A cicada as offering, alights on his cithara, sustaining the note of the broken string. Eunomos, thereby attributed accolade, wins the competition.
Dated – 332-58 BC
Condition – Very Fine
Region of Ancient Origin – Greece
Terms & Conditions:
Upon bidding, winning a bid and purchasing an item, Buyers agree to the following:
· Physical Stats: Buyers agree to be responsible for the acknowledgement of item’s size and the physical stats provided clearly in the ‘Additional Information’ below.
· Authenticity: All items are unconditionally guaranteed to be authentic as described. We are American Numismatic Association (ANA) – Money Museum members. All items of antiquity in the INTAGLIA eBay store are supervised by and in support by the Israeli Antiquity Authority (IAA).
· Certificates of Authenticity (C.O.A): Certificates of Authenticity will be provided for and shipped along with each item purchased, upon request.
· Photographs of Items: All photographs of the items listed in the INTAGLIA eBay store are taken in macro (close-up) setting to provide our buyers with a detailed perspective into each item. All images are original have not been altered and do not convey a false or misleading impression.
· Payments: We accept PayPal. All payments must be received within 3 working days after auction has ended. Non-paying bidders will be reported to eBay after 3 days in order to recover money lost on listing fees. No Sales Tax/VAT will be charged by us.
· Shipping: We send all item registered, and signed for. All items are securely packed in waterproof zip-lock bags and are placed securely into bubble-protective envelopes to ensure all items arrive safely and in excellent condition. We are not responsible for customs delays/duties and loss of item upon parcel registration and delivery.
· Combined Shipping: Promotional rates are applied for combined shipping for 2 or more items. A maximum of 5 items will be shipped at a time (i.e.: per shipment).
· Buyer’s Remorse: INTAGLIA is not responsible for buyer’s remorse or any claimed misconceptions once the buyer has placed a bid, won their bid on, and/or purchased the item.“We value all our customers and would love to assist and answer any queries you may have for us. Please do not hesitate to contact us before taking any further actions, so we may be of best assistance to you as soon and as effectively as possible. Thank you.”