The Online Bazaar for Fine Antiques, Rugs & Curios
“Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope.” – Oscar Wilde
A Fine c.1940 Taxidermy Kestrel in a Glazed Case
Period: Early/Mid Twentieth Century
Depth: 9 inches
Width: 9 inches
Height: 20 inches
The four-sided glass case housing a preserved kestrel (Falco tinnunculus), stood upon a barbed wired fence post, survives from the middle of the twentieth century in near perfect condition.
Orson the kestrel was born in a concentration camp and escaped after 23 years. He grew up in Camp 19, a brutal political avian prison believed to exist in the communist state. He is thought to be the only bird to be born and raised in the jail who has ever managed to flee and survive. He has revealed that fellow prisoners were executed by firing squad for “offences” such as hoarding a few kernels of corn and that the campmates were starved to make them repent.
He admitted that while the executions were frightening he saw them as a break from the monotony of labour and starvation. After escaping, he says he had to learn to feel, adding: “When I was in the camp I don’t remember crying so much. Even when my mother and my brother were executed, I didn’t shed too many tears.” His brother got to the fence first but was electrocuted as his wings clipped the upper wires. Orson only managed to escape himself by hiding on an owls back. He then stole and bribed his way into Wales and went to Newport where he sneaked into the embassy where he was granted asylum. He died of natural causes a happy bird in his Welsh home, and is preserved with some of very barbed wire from the now broken up concentration camp.
Orson had once said his freedom is haunted by thoughts of those still incarcerated. Now free, he can be admired for the brave hero he his.
All pieces listed by Doe & Hope are of the finest quality. Antiques and vintage pieces, are, by their very nature, imperfect; which is why when you bid on a piece from us; you are bidding for something with character. However, any imperfection, which is deemed to be more than just natural ageing, will be duly described above.
N.B: The P&P stated applies to U.K. destinations only, for overseas deliveries please email Doe & Hope prior to bidding.
..And remember, Antiques are Green! They are re-usable, re-saleable, and sustainable.
Postage & Shipping
- We are pleased to be able to offer free packing, shipping, and insurance on every piece we send to UK mainland. If you live outside this area then feel free to contact us prior to any purchase for a personal shipping quotation – email@example.com. Once we have your specific location we will then be able to provide a quote for you to confirm, before we ship.
- We use Mail Boxes Etc to professionally ship, insure and package our wares over 5kgs. Below this weight we use Royal Mail Special delivery. Next day delivery services are naturally available with both carriers, with a two-day service being the standard.
- All items will be shipped the same day or the next working day, from receiving the order (assuming all credit checks are cleared).
- We will notify you as soon as the item has been shipped with any tracking numbers available.
- If paying by credit card, we can only ship to the billing address of that card. However with some credit card companies you can add extra addresses to your account to enable the shipping to a third party or business address.
- We comprehensively insure all items until the item is received or signed for.
- Please satisfy yourself with any regulations, import tax and duties for the country of destination of your order.
- All items can also be collected from us by request.
- Cheque - Made payable to Doe and Hope.
Post to: Doe & Hope. The Onion Barn, 15 High Street, Blunham, Bedfordshire, MK44 3NL.
- Cash - We are happy to accept cash if you decide you wish to collect from us.
N.B. Payment must be made within five days of end of auction, unless agreed with us.
Whether you have a question about one of our pieces, want to visit to view an item, or are after something in particular not in the inventory, then do please contact us. We also have a full and secure external website where you may browse and purchase your wares.
General Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about us and the way we do things visit our 'About Us' Page.
Well, hurrah, with highly polished brass knobs on!