Details about BANJO 4 string ukulele banjo - in very good playing conditionBANJO 4 string ukulele banjo - in very good playing condition See original listing
16 Feb, 2014 20:31:16 GMT
[ 1 bid ]
Wetherby, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully ... Read moreabout the condition
Ukulele banjo - 4 string
Hi. Thanks for looking. I'm offering an old but recently renovated open-backed Ukulele Banjo - restored to very good playing condition. There is no maker's name ; the unusual headstock might give a clue as the the manufacturer (please help me out here if you can).
Overall length is 24" ; pot diameter is 10.5" ; scale length is 14" ; 13 frets on the fingerboard - which is now 7.5" long (but see below) ; pot depth is 2.25" ; pot is maple or beech, overlaid with steel ; 20 tension rods.
Pro's : that you can appreciate
1. Strung with new Aquila strings, it has a loud, crisp and bright tone.
2. Fitted with an almost new calf-skin vellum ; settled in and tight.
3. Beautifully figured neck timber (mahogany) ; the head is overlaid with ebony
4. Original tuners work well and hold tuning ;
5. Action is excellent.
6. String height over the bridge is 5/8"
7. It's open-backed - with no evidence of ever being fitted with a resonator.
Cons : that you need to know
1. The fingerboard has suffered a "circumcision" at some time. It currently ends where the 14th fret would have been. Originally, it might well have overlapped the body.
2. The fingerboard surface between the nut and frets 1,2 and 3 is worn (long finger nails !!) but the frets are good and intonation is not compromised. Ideally, the fingerboard could be filled and levelled again.
3. Two of the tension rods are not original ; eighteen of them are.
4. There is no case.
It's a lovely little instrument and I'm very tempted to keep it - but it wouldn't get played much and it's a shame to have it parked in the loft. Someone will love it - and use it.
Please email me for further information and details or additional photographs. Please come and try it first if it helps (I'm in Wetherby, West Yorkshire). I will accept Paypal but would much prefer cash on collection. If you want to arrange and pay for your own courier service, that's fine and I'll pack it well.
Good luck if you're bidding.