Cross reference the serial numbers and year of manufacture for the TE-20, TO-20 and TO30 tractors. Model variants are listed here.
TE20 manufactured by Standard Motor Company, England
Harry Ferguson was born in County Down in 1884. During the 1920's he sold the American Waterloo Boy Model N Tractor. After having built his first tractor in 1933 he entered into an agreement with David Brown to produce the Ferguson-Brown, the partnership was short-lived and anticipating the break-up, he concluded an agreement with Henry Ford to produce Ferguson Tractors in Detroit U.S.A.
Henry Ford built the Ford Ferguson 9N from 1939 until 1947 when it was superceded by the 8N which was sold as a Ford Tractor. The 8N was basically identical to the 9N and this resulted in litigation which lasted for over four years. As a result of this Harry Ferguson bought a factory site in Detroit and production of the Ferguson TO 20 (Tractor Overseas) began in October 1948.
The First British production of the familiar gray "Fergie" commenced in 1946 with the launch of the TE 20 (Tractor England). These were produced at the Standard Motor Company's Banner Lane Factory in Coventry.
Model: TE 20
Made In: Coventry
Engine Size: 2088 cc
No of Cylinders: Four
During WW2 The Standard Motor Company had operated on behalf of the Government a new "shadow" factory making aero engines. This 1,000,000 sq ft (92.903 sq m) plant in Banner Lane, Coventry, stood idle once the war had ended and Standard's managing director Sir John Black was anxious to find a use for it. Such a large empty factory was also of interest to Harry Ferguson and a deal was struck between the two. As usual Ferguson was to be in charge of design, development, sales and service while Standard Motor Company made the tractors for him.
The first product of the new "alliance" was the TE20 (TE = Tractor England) and the first one came off the Banner Lane production line on the 6 July 1946. The little grey Fergie as it became known was a milestone, not only for Ferguson but agriculture in general.
Earlier versions used an imported American engine (the 1966cc Continental Z-120) but once the 2088 cc unit being developed for the Standard Vanguard car became available in September 1947 this was fitted instead, exclusively so from July 1948. Although only 315 of the TE20's were built in the first year of production, by the time the last one was produced in 1956 a total of 517,651 (including variants) had been built. This was a sign of its great popularity and even to day many TE20s are still in use.
Launched in 1949 the Ferguson TED 20 Tractor differed from the TEA 20 in that it was a vaporising oil burning version. The aluminium shroud over the exhaust and inlet manifold assisted in making the change over from petrol to TVO quicker and helped retain heat which assisted vaporisation. The less obvious difference was the duel fuel tank, comprising of a small section for petrol for cold starting and a larger main tank for the vaporising oil.