- Genuinely autographed by pilots John Wilson, Peter Duffey and Terence Henderson.
- Limited Edition of 1949 celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Comet's First Flight.
- Twenty-eighth in the Buckingham Royal Mail Mint Sheet series.
- Created by world renowned first day cover producer Buckingham Covers!
*More about first day covers and Buckingham Covers
It’s hard to believe that it was just 60 years ago that the world’s first commercial jet airliner made her Maiden Flight.
The de Havilland Comet was considered a landmark in British Aeronautical design and changed the course of aviation. We are delighted to mark the 60th anniversary of her debut with this classic Stamp Sheet Presentation Pack.
The aircraft that revolutionised air travel made her historic maiden flight on 27th July 1949 in a flight that lasted 31 minutes. Everyone involved must have been holding their breath, not least Test Pilots John “Cats Eyes” Cunningham and John Wilson!
A successful introduction into commercial service followed and the Comet proved extremely popular with passengers, who included Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. She flew on board a special flight and became the first member of the British Royal Family to fly by jet.
30,000 passengers were carried during the Comet’s first year of service – an impressive beginning to a long and productive career.
We are delighted to be able to offer some fantastic signatures for this sheet. Test pilot on the actual Maiden Flight John Wilson has very kindly agreed to be our main signature and he’s also signing our multi-signed versions, along with 2 other Comet Captains, Peter Duffey and Terence Henderson.
This sheet comes in a plastic pocket with a presentation card. The presentation card gives information about the sheet and is also your guarantee that the sheets are genuinely printed by Royal Mail. These are exclusive to us - people who buy our sheets through Royal Mail won't get presentation cards!
Go on ... make us an offer!
Postage/Packing and Returns Policy: -
Postage is £1.95 to UK addresses and £2.95 for recorded delivery or abroad. Every item has a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you aren't delighted, return it to us in the same condition for a full refund.
*What is a "first day cover?"
At it's most basic level, a first day cover is an envelope bearing stamps postmarked on the first day that the stamps were issued. Buckingham Covers first day covers are highly collectable versions. They are highly sought after because: -
- They are limited in number (usually between 500 and 750 in total per stamp issue) and we cannot produce more after the issue date of the stamps.
- Celebrities, film and TV stars, sports stars, politicians and VIP's the world over sign our covers personally in return for a charity donation. Buckingham Covers has raised in excess of £500k for charity so far!
- They're handstamped with our very own specially sponsored postmark which makes them unique.
- They are designed with great love and planning to create beautiful works of art in their own right, before they've even been postmarked!
Buckingham Covers - the best-kept secret in the collectables world