Grapefruit essential oil information
This essential oil is useful for more than just fighting cellulite and boosting your lymphatic system - it positively affects your mood and revives the mind while stimulating the digestive system and clearing up congested oily skin and acne.
Grapefruit essential oil has a sharp refreshing smell and is either a pale yellow or light ruby color with a watery viscosity. Like all citrus oils, grapefruit oil should be used within six month of purchase.
Originally from Asia, it is now cultivated in the USA, Brazil and Israel. Grapefruit is picked from a glossy-leaved tree, about 10 meters (30 feet) high, with white flowers and large, pale yellow fruit.
The oil glands are imbedded deep within the peel and yield a small amount of essential oil.
Grapefruit oil is extracted from the fresh peel by cold compression and yields 0.5 - 1 %.
The main chemical components are a-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, limonene, geraniol, linalool, citronellal, decyl acetate, neryl acetate and terpinen-4-ol.
Grapefruit oil is non-toxic, non-irritant, non-sensitizing and although listed as non-phototoxic, it can irritate the skin if exposed to strong sunlight after treatment.
Some of the therapeutic properties of grapefruit oil are antidepressant, antiseptic, aperitif, diuretic, disinfectant, lymphatic stimulant, tonic and anti-infectious.
Grapefruit has a high vitamin C content and is therefore valuable to the immune system. It helps protect against colds and flu, has a very positive effect on obesity and also has diuretic properties, helping to remove excess water from the body and is therefore also great for treating cellulite.
It has an uplifting effect on the mood and helps with stress and depression. It is used with great success to combat muscle fatigue and stiffness while stimulating the lymphatic system and thereby clearing the body of toxins. It helps to clear congested oily skin and also assists with acne, while toning the skin and tissues. Grapefruit is used in hair care to promote hair growth.
This refreshing oil helps to boost digestion, benefits the immune system by helping to clear the lymphatic system, helps with skin problems, and can be used for muscle stiffness, water retention and for bolstering the nervous system.
- Burners and vaporizers
- In vapor therapy grapefruit oil can be used for hangovers, headaches, over indulgence, mental exhaustion and depression.
- Blended massage oil or in the bath
- Grapefruit oil can be used in a blended massage oil, or may be diluted in the bath to assist with cellulite, colds and flu, lack of energy, jet lag, muscle fatigue, overweight, headaches, moodiness and mental and physical tiredness.
- Lotions, creams and washes
- Used in a base cream, lotion or as a wash, grapefruit oil can help to clear a greasy, congested and acne skin, while also helping the tissue get rid of cellulite and drain any excess retained water.