The railways of the Isle of Wight have long been a magnet for enthusiasts, and this is the first of several sets of 6x4 inch Black and White prints which will explore the classic days on these wonderful railways between the 1920s and the 1960s.We open with a RARE view of SR 2-4-0T No w13 RYDE having arrived in the branch platform at Brading with a train from Bembridge. Built by Beyer Peacock in 1864, RYDE was withdrawn in 1932 and sent to Eastleigh for preservation but broken up during a wartime salvage drive in 1940. As well as the engine, the coaching stock repays study. No w20 SHANKLIN was one of the first pair of Adams 02 tanks to be sent to the Island in 1923, and is seen with her original small bunker and coal rails, at Ryde Esplanade station with a Ventnor service in 1929. No w17 SEAVIEW is on the coal road at St John’s Road shed on 20 May 1964, whilst w28 ASHEY is ready to depart from Cowes with a Ryde train on 11 June 1959. w36 CARISBROOKE, was one of the last pair of 02s to be sent to the Island in 1949, and is inside St John’s shed on 20 August 1963. Although many photos have been published of Island locomotives, photos of stations, signalling and rolling stock are much rarer, so we include a view of the Saxby & Farmer signal box at Sandown. Unusually, this projected through the roof of the station canopy, and dummy windows were painted on the locking room walls to make it harmonise with the rest of the station ! A second view depicts the 32 lever frame which controlled the passing loop on the IWR Ventnor line, the goods yard and the IWCR branch from Merstone junction. Apart from the main Ryde-Ventnor line of the IWR, the Isle of Wight Central had its own route from Newport, which served Ventnor West. We see this tranquil and forgotten byway on 18 May 1948. The line closed in September 1952. S 6349 was an 8 compartment 1/3 composite built in 1924 to an LBSCR design and sent to the IoW in 1937, In was withdrawn in September 1966 and sent to Newport for breaking up, where it is seen on 29 October 1966. happily it was subsequently rescued for preservation, so this is a pleasing pre-preservation view of a vehicle you can still travel in today, the only item in this selection to have survived. Drop door open wagon S 28476 is to an LBSCR design, and was a general purpose high, but used on the Island primarily for coal from Medina wharf, and it is seen loaded with coal. A copy of these notes accompanies the set. These views are copyright; Reproduction by any means is prohibited without our prior written permission.
Isle of Wight Railway SET BW2 10 6x4 Black+White Photos
The railways of the Isle of Wight are justifiably popular with enthusiasts, and this set of 10 6x4 inch Black and White prints continues our exploration of this delightful system. We open with a magnificent study of A1X Terrier No 9 FISHBOURNE in steam inside Ryde St John’s Road shed soon after arriving on the Island in 1930. w9, originally LBSCR 50/650, was fitted with motor gear, enabling it to be used on the Ventnor West or Bembridge services, but with more 02s arriving on the Island a few years later was returned to the Mainland in May 1936, later becoming BR 32650. AN immaculate w25 GODSHILL, seen at Cowes in 1929 with original small bunker, went to the Island in June 1925 and survived until December 1962. Instead of the usual white discs, w25 carries a pair of headlamps, marked SR, one over each buffer, the code for a Cowes line train. Steam drifts from the cylinder draincocks as No 18 NINGWOOD drifts along the coal road at St John’s on 20 May 1964. No 21, SANDOWN, carries one white disc and one lamp at St John’s Road on 20 August 1963. No 27, MERSTONE, runs round her train at Ventnor station on 21 August 1963. This is one of a handful of 02s to carry the short lived Westinghouse pump shield which was introduced to reduce oil splashes on the guard’s end windows when working bunker first. Newport station was the Island crossroads, and we look north along the platforms with the footbridge, buildings, North signal box and water tanks in view. We see the 36 lever frame installed in Newport North signal box. Owing to ground movement, the up platform at Ashey was taken out of use in 1961 and the platform cut back. A small waiting shelter was provided on the down platform which had been disused since 1926. We see the old and new buildings on 20 May 1964. Between 1926 and 1930, the Southern transferred a large number of former LC&DR 4-wheel carriages to the IoW, which had started life as 6-wheelers. Brake third No 4101 was sent to the IoW in 1929 and ran as part of Set 487 until its demise in 1934, most of this stock having a very short life on the Island. It is seen as the last vehicle of a train at Esplanade in 1932. Es 081373, seen at St John’s Road on 20 August 1963, is a former LB&SCR box van. A copy of these notes accompanies the set. These views are copyright; Reproduction by any means is prohibited without our prior written permission.
Isle of Wight Railway SET BW3 10 6x4 Black+White Photos
The railways of the Isle of Wight are fascinating, and this set of 10 6x4 inch Black and White prints explores this unique system. In 1932-33, the Southern Railway transferred four LB&SCR Stroudley Class E1 0-6-0Ts to the Island primarily for freight duties. With coal from Medina wharf as the main traffic, three were based at Newport, and it is appropriate that w2, YARMOUTH, is seen at the capacious loco depot at Newport in 1932, soon after her arrival. The cab of A1X Terrier, w12, VENTNOR, is to the right of w2. The E1 tank carried the pre-war Maunsell Olive green livery with its ornate serif lettering, but after the war, Malachite green with block lettering was adopted in 1945. After the formation of BR in 1948, this attractive finish was retained until a standard BR livery was worked out. W22 BRADING, is in malachite green with BRITISH RAILWAYS hand painted in Southern style on the tanks at Ventnor on 18 May 1948, and looks magnificent. Lined black became the standard finish and well into the sixties, the Island railaymen took immense pride in their engines. A gleaming No 20 SHANKLIN, taken on the coal wagon road at Ryde St John’s on 20 May 1964, is evidence of this dedication. Steam blasts from the safety valves, as No 16 VENTNOR, makes ready to depart from platform No 4 at Pier Head with a Ventnor train on 20 August 1963. One of the shedmen poses with w14 FISHBOURNE at St John’s Road on 20 August 1963, the short lived shield to the Westinghouse pump being visible. Ryde works had to perform a wide variety of tasks, and the loco shop is depicted in a portrait taken in August 1963. Wroxall was a quiet station between Shanklin and Ventnor when this portrait was taken on 21 August 1963. Sadly, it was to close in 1966 when the line was abandoned south of Shanklin. Newport, which was once the Island crossroads, with lines radiating out to Cowes, Ryde, Freshwater and Sandown, lost the Freshwater and Sandown routes in the 1950s. An evocative and moving portrait, taken from just east of the Medina drawbridge at Newport, shows the piers of the abandoned Sandown line reflected in the waters of the Medina. The Island lines had to cope with vast amounts of baggage on busy summer Saturdays when trains met the boats at Ryde Pier Head every few minutes. Four ex SECR 4 compartment brake thirds were rebuilt as passenger luggage and brakes as late as 1956-57. S1013 was the first to be converted, and is seen shortly before withdrawal in November 1966. The former guards end could be recognised by the two end windows, here visible. The final view in this selection of brake van 56044, taken at St John’s Road in the early thirties, shows one of these former LSWR Road vans as they were known in full SR livery next to a Brighton goods van and former LCDR 4-wheel passenger brake No 1009. A copy of these notes accompanies the set. These views are copyright; Reproduction by any means is prohibited without our prior written permission.
Isle of Wight Railway SET BW4 10 6x4 Black+White Photos
The railways of the Isle of Wight were a time capsule, as this set of ten 6x4 Black and White photos reveals. We open with Stroudley A1X Terrier, No w12, VENTNOR, at Newport in 1932, before going on to a portrait of a popular and much loved engine, w24 CALBOURNE, the only one of the Adams 02 tanks to have survived. A gleaming CALBOURNE with polished buffer heads is caught outside St John’s Road shed in 1932. On 20 May 1964, No 35 FRESHWATER is seen in BR lined black at ST John’s Road, and although her condition does not match CALBOURNE, she is still well groomed. W30 Shorwell is on the head of an SR 8-plank coal wagon at St John’s Road on 21 May 1964, this rear three quarters view clearly showing the way in which the bunker has been extended backwards and upwards. By the autumn of 1966, the steam system was eking out its last weeks, and just the Ryde-Shanklin section remained. A grimy W27, MERSTONE, departs from Brading bunker first towards Ryde on 29 October 1966. Within a few weeks, it will all be over. At Shanklin, the signal box was incorporated into the station buildings with the front windows looking out beneath the awning but the end windows looking our above the canopy, a stange arrangement captured in our view of the box. A 20 lever frame was provided in a small box, and this is captured in our second view whilst a further view depicts the signal box diagram, providing some rare signalling views of the Island system. Three short 40ft third class bogie carriages of LC&DR design were sent to the IoW at the start of the thirties and marked a step forward in coaching stock as most earlier equipment had been four wheeled. Stored during the war, they were in poor condition by the late 1940s, so our view of 2419 at Ryde Pier Head on 18 May 1948 is of especial interest. The class became extinct eleven months later. Our final view is of open wagon DS 60582, an LBSCR diagram 1661 10T road vehicle and machinery truck, seen at St John’s Road on 29 October 1966. A copy of these notes accompanies the set. These views are copyright; Reproduction by any means is prohibited without our prior written permission.
Isle of Wight Railway SET BW5 10 6x4 Black+White Photos
The railways of the Isle of Wight with their archaic stock were a wonderful link with the past, as this set of ten 6x4 Black and White photos reveals. We open with A1X Terrier No 4 BEMBRIDGE at Newport. The number is associated with the E4 tank later shipped to the IoW, but the Stroudley Terrier, Ex LBSCR No 78, KNOWLE, was sent to the Island in May 1929 and named BEMBRIDGE. In 1932 it was renumbered 14 to make way for the final E1 tank. It was one of the motor fitted Terriers, but was returned to the mainland in 1936. A shot of the shed shunt at St John’s Road on the evening of 20 May 1964 provides a superb line-up of 17 SEAVIEW, 20, SHANKLIN, 26, WHITWELL, and 29 ALVERSTONE. No 20 SHANKLIN features in our next view at St John’s Road c1932, after naming, but prior to the fitting of an enlarged bunker. No 24 CALBOURNE is running round at Shanklin in utility unlined black on 29 October 1966, shortly before the end of steam services. The seldom photographed No 25 GODSHILL, was in poor condition latterly with frame fractures and cracked spokes, so was seldom used, but is seen shunting her train after arriving at Cowes in 1962. The engine was withdrawn in December 1962. S2416, a former LBSCR 9-compartment third, is seen at Ryde in October 1966. 443S, seen at Ryde on 20 May 1964, became a much rebuilt weedkiller tank, but had started life as Isle of Wight Central Railway tar tank No 140 in 1898. The South end of Brading station c1932, with the Bembridge branch curving off to the right provides our next view. A former IWR 4 plank open wagon, No 27699 is in the yard.. We see the sheerlegs and Ryde works yard on 29 October 1966, whilst our final view, from 20 Aug 1963 is looking south from the platforms at St John’s Road, with the signalbox and the four arm bracket signal in its summer configuration. A copy of these notes accompanies the set. These views are copyright; Reproduction by any means is prohibited without our prior written permission.
Isle of Wight Railway SET BW6 10 6x4 Black+White Photos
This set of ten 6x4 Black and White photos is a further portrait of the remarkable railways of the Isle of Wight, and with our other sets, builds up into a detailed record of this delightful system. We open with A1X Terrier No 13 CARISBROOKE, which was sent to the Island as W3 in 1927 and renumbered w13 in April 1932. Customarily a Newport engine, this is a rare view of No 1 at Ryde St John’s Rd c1932. W21 SANDOWN is seen at St John’s on 20 May 1964, with a patched tank. A dramatic broadside panned action shot reveals No 22 BRADING entering St John’s Road on the same day. W24 CALBOURNE is in hybrid livery, with SR Malachite green, with BRITISH RAILWAYS in SR sunshine lettering on the tank side, on a Ventnor service at St John’s Road on 18 5 48. W27 MERSTONE blows off in the platform at Ventnor, with the signal box and tunnel in the background as she waits time with a Ryde working on 21-8-63. s6375, a former SECR composite was sent to the Island in 1949 and withdrawn in January 1967after the end of steam working. 4-wheel Flatrol, B900032, was sent to the Island for departmental work during electrification, and is at St John’s in October 1966. Mill Hill station, a short distance out of Cowes served the southern part of the town, and the single platform station is seen on 22 August 1963. The buildings at St John’s Road shed included a cast iron water tank with IWR 1870 cast on the panels. Access to the tank was via a trap door in the roof of a lean to and up a ladder to one of the supporting girders, and then up another ladder at right angles to the tank top. Our final view is of St John’s Rd shed on 20 August 1963 with No 22 BRADING on the coal road, No’s 14 FISHBOURNE and 21 SANDOWN on the two shed roads, and 31 CHALE, 26 WHITWELL and 18 NINGWOOD on the stabling road at the back of the signal box. A copy of these notes accompanies the set. These views are copyright; Reproduction by any means is prohibited without our prior written permission.
Isle of Wight Railway SET BW7 10 6x4 Black+White Photos
This delightful set of ten 6x4 Black and White photos provides a further look at railways of the Isle of Wight, and with our other sets, builds up into a detailed record of this delightful system. We open with A1X Terrier w12 next to the iron tank at Newport shed. W12 was a former Isle of Wight Central Railway LBSCR Terrier (No 84 CROWBOROUGH), but ran un-named on the IWCR. It received a locally produced Hurst & Wheeler chimney under IWCR auspices and was the last engine overhauled and repainted at Newport works in 1925. She is seen prior to being named VENTNOR in May 1929. The crew of IWR 2-4-0T No w16 WROXALL, of 1872, pose with their steed at St John’s Road shed prior to her final 1930/31 rebuild. The numeral is squashed between the nameplate and the running plate and necessitates an unsightly kink in the lining. Adams 02 tank No 17 SEAVIEW is caught in a delightful rear three quarters study at St John’s on 20 May 1964. No 32 BONCHURCH uses the escape crossover to run round at Ryde Pier Head on 20 August 1963. No w33 BEMBRIDGE crosses the harbour viaduct at Newport with a Ryde train on 8 June 1959, a dramatic shot with the engine framed between the bridge pillars. Hunslet diesel shunter D2554 was sent to the Island for works trains during electrification, and is seen at St Johns in October 1966. Sandown station features in two views, one showing the platforms both of which still had canopies when this view was taken on 21 August 1963. The second view, with a pair of Southern PLVs in the horse and carriage landing and a couple of opens in the yard recalls traditional railway working. Our final views are rather sad. Both are taken at St John’s works yard on 21 May 1964, and show progressive stages in the demolition of former LBSCR 5 plank drop door open wagon S27767 which was last overhauled in 1956. Despite some new planking in the side and end it was cut up as surplus top requirements, the second view showing the frame smoking where the wood has caught fire as the blow torch has sliced through the steelwork. A copy of these notes accompanies the set. These views are copyright; Reproduction by any means is prohibited without our prior written permission.
Isle of Wight Railway SET BW8 10 6x4 Black+White Photos