Details about JOHN MAYALL 1968 First US Tour Poster Cafe Au Go Go NYC Original Printing PlateJOHN MAYALL 1968 First US Tour Poster Cafe Au Go Go NYC Original Printing Plate See original listing
19 Jan, 2014 13:59:09 GMT
[ 0 bids ]
US $87.95 (approx. £52.89) USPS Priority Mail International | See details
International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. help icon for delivery - opens a layer
International delivery - items may be subject to customs processing depending on the item's declared value.
Sellers set the item's declared value and must comply with customs declaration laws.
As the buyer, you should be aware of possible:
- delays from customs inspection.
- import duties and taxes which buyers must pay.
- brokerage fees payable at the point of delivery.
Your country's customs office can offer more details, or visit eBay's page on international trade.
Montgomery, New York, United States
Photos Not Showing Up? Send me a message through the ebay contact system, I'll get it fixed.
We've seen the small handbills (with the same logo) for the January 9-21st 1968 concerts at Cafe Au Go Go on Bleeker Street Greenwich Village NY, they're available from Wolfgangs Vault for a small fortune. But I can find no available surviving examples of the posters. I do, however, present for auction the original photo-etched zinc letterpress printing plate of the the band's logo that was used to print those posters! And that's even rarer than a poster, since there was only one printing plate.
I believe this was used solely for the New York City concerts, since the plate was left in New York, and the venue probably had to pay for the posters. It is important to note that the Cafe Au Go Go concerts were the first performances of the band's first US tour (per the Mick Taylor Database online). According to one website,
For his first American tour, John Mayall’s band featured Mick Taylor on lead guitar and Keef Hartley on drums, along with a horn section (Dick Heckstall-Smith and Chris Mercer), plus Keith Tillman on bass. This was the last of his “straight-ahead” blues lineups. The band had already recorded the live album Diary Of A Band, but their September 1967 album Crusade had been released on London records in the US in January 68.
This plate was assembled into a galley with the necessary lead type to advertise the gig, all locked together, and then run in the press, one inked impression at a time. After the print run was done, the type was removed from the galley for future use on another project, and this custom portion of the print run was put into storage in the back of the shop, where it was unearthed many years ago by a junk dealer who had a store in the Village in days past. The print shop went out of business decades ago, as most letterpress houses have, and many of the plates (which are always the property of the printer) he had the good sense to purchase. Now in his eighties, I was lucky enough to be able to acquire this rare John Mayall memorabilia from him.
Note that two of the photos have been flipped mirror-image in order to facilitate reading, the actual plate by necessity reads backwards. The size of this printing plate is 15 inches high by 24.5 inches wide. The zinc plate material is mounted on a wood backing. It is heavy, about 12 lbs, and the package will weigh over 13 lbs. Screw eyes and wire were added at a later date, but years ago, to allow this piece to displayed hung on a wall. There are of course still traces of the black ink used to print the posters. Condition is Very Good, with some small scratches and dings, but I believe this would still produce some prints with a little cleaning up. But please don't, we don't need any more fake posters offered on ebay. Just enjoy it, or sell it to a museum. Will be shipped with delivery confirmation and insurance by Priority Mail to US addresses only. Please don't ask for me to ship this internationally, instead ask one of your US friends to buy it and ship it to you themselves, I won't assume that responsibility. Happy bidding, I'm starting this with a modest opening bid.
130322 / 0997 R1/12/2014 AUS
Additional purchases will be combined if bought same day, for one low shipping rate. Sales Tax may apply. Please read and accept my terms of sale below before you bid.
1) POSTAGE: All USPS postage rates are calculated using the most affordable (not the quickest) shipping class, based on a pre-sale estimated weight and size of the package. If you want to upgrade to a quicker, more expensive postal class, you must let me know BEFORE you pay. Postage for multiple purchases bought same day will be combined to save you money, if you wait for me to combine them. I cannot offer refunds or changes to postage once paid, due to new bay commission policies.
In the USA: Qualifying books will ship via MEDIA MAIL. Individual postcards will ship via LETTER RATE FIRST CLASS MAIL, unless valued above $25. Small, light items will ship via FIRST CLASS MAIL when possible, otherwise via PRIORITY MAIL. Heavier items will ship via PRIORITY MAIL, unless buyer requests slower, less expensive PARCEL SELECT. All shipments will include DELIVERY CONFIRMATION when possible, for my protection and your peace of mind. Some delicate or expensive sales may include insurance or registered mail fee in the shipping/handling cost. For pick-up or delivery items these terms do not apply.
International sales (if offered): shipped via USPS least expensive method, currently either INTERNATIONAL FIRST CLASS MAIL or INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY MAIL, based on weight and size of package. Some sales may include insurance in the shipping/handling cost.
2) CHECKOUT: If you purchase multiple items, please WAIT for me to send an invoice BEFORE you pay. If you have any questions, please contact us before payment. Refunds on incorrect postage payments can no longer be refunded.
3) INSURANCE: Some fragile or expensive shipments may include postal insurance or registered mail fee in the shipping/handling cost.
4) SALES TAX: All items shipped to addresses within New York State must will be charged applicable sales tax unless you first send me a completed NY resale certificate or exempt certificate before checkout. I will then send you an amended invoice. If you have purchased before and I have a resale certificate already, let me know and I will send you an amended invoice. Once I have your tax form filed, I won't ask you to send another one again. As a convenience to qualified resellers, I have provided you with a link here to a tax form which may be opened in Adobe Reader, filled out electronically, saved, closed and emailed back to me prior to your payment. Alternately, you could print it out, fill it out by hand, and then send me a scan of the finished document.
5) INTERNATIONAL BUYERS – Please Note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying. We won't under-value merchandise or mark the item as a gift on customs forms. Doing that is against U.S. and international laws.