A superb impressionist oil painting by Leon Hanson - titled verso by the artist as "Afternoon Shadows" Bourke Street, Near Menzies Hotel - which is in Melbourne Australia
Wonderful impasto technique, picking up the shadows and heat of the early afternoon in Melbourne city - circa 1960's.
Born in New South Wales in 1918, Leon William Hanson was painter of landscapes, primarily in oils. He studied at the Julian Ashton School and on occasion with Robert Johnson and Arthur Streeton and was a painter of landscapes in the Heidelberg school tradition. He is represented in the collection of the Art Gallery of New South Wales and institutional and private collections in Australia and overseas.,
Auction records include £2,215 for "Overlooking The Garrison Church, Sydney" £1,200 "Clearing Mists" and £1,153 for "Overlooking Shell Bay, Sydney Harbour", £1087 for "Burragorang Valley NSW" "Towards North Head" £1,005 etc..
The Menzies Hotel, Mebourne: Situated at the south-east corner of Bourke and William streets, Menzies Hotel was the first of Melbourne's grand hotels and certainly one of the finest. In 1872 English author Anthony Trollope noted that he had never stayed 'at a better inn in any part of the world'. The site was purchased in 1867 by Mr and Mrs Archibald Menzies whose Menzies Family Hotel in La Trobe Street dated from 1853. Designed by Reed & Barnes and constructed at a cost of £32 000 by David Mitchell, the three-storey building with columned arcade and pavilion towers opened in November 1867. Two floors and a corner tower were added in 1896 and electric light, telephones and a lift were installed. Suites were either painted white or walnut-panelled and had French bedsteads. A six-storey Bourke Street wing was added in 1922 providing en-suite bathrooms and an enlarged dining room. Menzies' guest list included royalty, Mark Twain, Sarah Bernhardt, Ignacy Paderewski, Alexander Graham Bell and Herbert Hoover. The Menzies family interest remained until the hotel's purchase in 1936 by Sydney financier Bede Rydge. In 1942 it became South-West Pacific headquarters for General Douglas MacArthur for several months. It was sold in 1964, then closed and demolished in 1969 to make way for construction of offices for BHP.