RARE HIGH GRADE NAZI CLASSIC
This large size Third Reich Bank Note was issued for circulation in Nazi-occupied territories during World War 2. It's one of the most distinctive bills the Nazis ever issued, instantly recognizable by the Durer Portrait "Der Baumeister" (The Master Builder) on the front and that enduring symbol of Germany, the Brandenberg Gate in Berlin, on the back.
Dramatically engraved in brown and green with a reddish tint, the bill features a red serial number, and 2 Swastikas to the left of the portrait, one of which is embossed in the paper.
This is from a scarce issue that is unlisted in SCWPM (Standard Catalogue of World Paper Money)!
When this note is offered, it is usually in VG or below grade-wise with heavy folds, tears, soiling, stains, etc. Anything over VF must be considered scarce to very scarce! This superb example looks AU upon first view, but has very light traces of use so we'll call it XF. VERY SCARE IN SUCH PRIME CONDITION!!!
There are 1-2 very light folds but the paper remains clean and crisp with superb color. There are no tears, no splits, no stains and no holes. XF Retail Value $75.00 and climbing (AU is higher still). Buy Now for just $24.95 and SAVE 67%!!!! Serial number may vary.
Higher Grades available as follows if you act IMMEDIATELY (our high grade material is flying out "frighteningly" fast!): scarce XF-AU or better $29.95, very scarce AU $34.95, rare AU-CU $39.95. Please email about any of these or higher grades (if available).
The Brandenburg Gate (German: Brandenburger Tor) is a former city gate and the symbol of Berlin, Germany. It is located between the Pariser Platz and the Platz des 18. März and is the only remaining gate of a series through which one formerly entered Berlin. One block to its north lies the Reichstag. It constitutes the monumental termination of Unter den Linden, the renowned boulevard of Lime trees which led directly to the royal residence. It was commissioned by Friedrich Wilhelm II as a sign of peace and built by Carl Gotthard Langhans from 1788 to 1791.
The Brandenburg Gate consists of twelve Roman Doric columns, six on each side. This allows for five roadways, although originally ordinary citizens were only allowed to use the outer two. Above the gate is the Quadriga, consisting of the goddess of peace, who is driving it (the Quadriga) in triumph. The gate stands 26 m (65 ft) high, 65.5 m (213 ft) wide and 11 m (36 ft) thick.
The design of the gate was based on the Propylea, the gateway to the Acropolis in Athens, Greece. Berlin had a long history of classicism: first classicist Baroque and then a neo-Palladian, but this was the first Greek revival neo-classical structure in Berlin, which would become the Spreeathen ("Athens on the River Spree") by the 1830s, shaped by the severe neoclassicism of architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. The Quadriga on the top was made by Johann Gottfried Schadow.
While the main design of the Brandenburg Gate has remained the same since it was completed, the gate has played varying roles in Germany's history. First, Napoleon took the Quadriga to Paris in 1806 after conquering Berlin. When it returned to Berlin in 1814, the statue exchanged her olive wreath for the Iron Cross and became the goddess of victory.
When the Nazis rose to power, they used the gate to symbolize their power. The only structure left standing in the ruins of Pariser Platz in 1945, apart from the ruined Academy of Fine Arts, the gate was restored by the East Berlin and West Berlin governments. However, in 1961, the gate was closed when the Berlin Wall was built.
In 1963 U.S. President John F. Kennedy visited the Brandenburg Gate. The Soviets hung large banners across it so he could not see the East Berlin side. "The German question will remain open as long as the Brandenburg Gate is closed" was how the Mayor of West Berlin, Richard von Weizsäcker, described the situation in the early 1980s. On June 12, 1987 U.S. President Ronald Reagan delivered a speech ("Tear down this wall") to the people of West Berlin at the Brandenburg Gate, yet it was also audible on the East Berlin side of the Wall.
Finally, when the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, the gate symbolized freedom and the unity of the city. It re-opened on 22 December 1989 when the West German Chancellor Helmut Kohl walked through to be greeted by the East German Prime Minister, Hans Modrow.
On July 12, 1994 U.S. President Bill Clinton addressed a speech to the people of Berlin at the Brandenburg Gate talking mainly about peace in post-Cold War Europe.
On December 21, 2000 workers began to once again refurbish the Brandenburg Gate, this time using lasers to clean off soot and grit. More than 1,000 pieces of stone were also replaced. Estimated cost: 3,000,000 USD in private funding.
There is some local controversy in Berlin over the fact that there is a Starbucks within a few yards of the gate. It is seen as a corporate intrusion upon a national treasure.