State of the art automatic battery optimiser for motorcycle sized batteries
OptiMate 3+ - the unique affordable 6-step battery optimiser. Easy to use with the original OptiMate functions and intuitive LED display.
0.6 Amp charge rate
Since it's launch in 1995, OptiMate has received wide acclaim as an outstanding compact automatic charger, maintainer and recoverer for 12V starter batteries of motorcycles, ride-on mowers and similar seasonal vehicles, as well as for sealed lead-acid gel and deep-cycle batteries used in back-up power support applications. The new OptiMate 3+ takes the proven OptiMate interactive charging programme another step further in an affordable package.
OptiMate 3+ is totally automatic and fully protected against user errors. There are no switches. Short-circuiting the charger output resets the programme, without sparks or blown fuses. Affordable, compact, intelligent and forgiving of errors, OptMate 3+ is the perfect tool for regular or long-term maintenance of batteries not in daily use.
How it works
1. Battery check: OptiMate 3+ must be connected to a battery (retaining a minimum of 2V) to activate its output.
2. Desulphation and recovery stage: Tests the battery for possible deep discharge or sulphation. If necessary, OptiMate 3+ automatically engages a special high voltage recovery mode (up to 20V) with a very low fixed current to desulphate the battery.
3. Bulk charge stage: Charges at 0.6 Amps constant current until such time as the battery is normally able to crank the engine.
4. Verification stage: A 30 minute charge & check cycle ensures that even well-used batteries are brought to full charge saturation. If necessary the programme reverts automatically to the bulk charging stage, repeating steps 3 & 4 as many times as may be necessary until the battery is thoroughly charged.
5. Voltage retention test: During a 30 minute pause the charging circuit monitors the battery's voltage to identify batteries unable to retain an adequate charge without charger support. The green LED indicates that the battery has passed the charge retention test and the red LED indicating that the battery voltage failed to remain above 12V. (A fully charged, undamaged lead-acid battery should normally retain a voltage of at least 12.5V.)
6. Maintenance / float charge stage: Irrespective of the voltage retention test result, a maximum voltage of 13.6V is applied with up to 200mA available to support connected electronic alarms or other small loads.
The voltage retention check (step 5) is repeated every 30 minutes and alternates thereafter with step 6 for as long as OptiMate 3+ remains connected to the battery.
Recommended for: AGM / MF, STD, GEL and spiral cell batteries from 2Ah to 35Ah
Programme control: 5 stages, fully automatic
Input current max: 0.075A @ 230V
Typical annual energy cost: less than £1.00 per year (continuous maintenance)
Reverse drain current: Less than 0.5mA
Output current (bulk charge): 0.6A
Automatic desulphation: Yes
Charge time limit: Safe to leave connected for months
Maintain / test cycles: 30 min/30 min (alternating hourly)
Charge retention test: 2 possible results - ‘good’ & ‘bad’
Size: 190 x 75 x 56mm
Enclosure classification: IP52
Mounting: Easy direct wall mounting
Input cable length: 2m
Output cable length: 2m
Included Accessories: O1 (SAE-71) weatherproof eyelet lead; O4 (SAE-74) clamps lead for bench charging
Operation temperature range: -20°C / +40°C
Warranty: 3 years