Rit Dye & Tinte
RIT DYE DIRECTIONS
5 STEPS TO SUCCESSFULL FABRIC DYING
1. SELECT FABRIC - use RIT dye for washable cotton, rayon, nylon, ramie, linen, silk, wool, spandex and acetate. Polyester or acrylic blends dye a lighter colour. NOT recommended for 100% polyester, 100% acrylic or fabrics with special finishes, rubber backing, washable only in cold water or labeled dry clean only. Print fabrics will not dye a solid uniform colour. Test dye on a swatch if in doubt.
2. PRETREAT FABRIC - Wash fabric to remove finishes, softner, stains. Use RIT Colour Remover to remove stains or uneven colour (fading) and to lighten fabric colour or print pattern before dyeing to a lighter or different colour. Dye white or light-coloured fabrics for colour closest to packet colour.
3. PREPARE DYE SOLUTION - Dissolve RIT dye thoroughly in HOT water (2 cups per package). Use 1 package RIT per 1 pound (3 yards) fabric. For dark or bright RIT dye colours, use double the quantity of dye. For best results when dyeing cotton, rayon, linen, ramie or blends of these fibres, add 1 cup salt to dyebath. Add 1 tablespoon laundry detergent to all dyebaths.
4. DYE FABRIC - Wear rubber gloves to protect skin. Follow manufactures Fabric cre instructions for washing and drying all fabrics. For best results, dye in hottest water recommended on fabric care label and for recommended amount of time. Never crowd or tangle fabric. Use constant agitation to achieve uniform color. Dyebath should completely cover item. Colours will darken when wet. RUT dye will stain plastic or fibreglass. NOT FOR TUB DYEING.
WASHING MACHINE TECHNIQUE:
* Fill machine with enough hot water for fabric to move freely. Add pre-dissolved dye and 1 tbsp detergent; agitate to mix.
* Wet fabric in warm water. Uncrumple and add to dyebath
* Set machine for extended wash cycle by resetting wash cycle before rinse cycle begins. (fabric should be in dyebath at least 30 minutes before rinsing begins).
* Rinse in cool water untill water runs clear.
* Wash in warm water and mild detergent.
* Dry in dryer or air dry.
* claen washing machine immediately with highest level HOT water, detergent and 1 to 2 cups chlorine bleach. Run complete wash cycle. Wipe spills with chlorine bleach solution, Clean limt traps. Plastic or rubber machine parts may be tinted but will not stain laundry.
SINK / BUCKET:
* Fill sink, bucket or pot with enough HOT water for fabric to move freely. (use 1 package dye and 3 gallons HOT water per pound of fabric. Double the amount of dye for dark or bright RIT colours.) Add predissolved dye; stir to mix.
* Wet rabric in hot water, Uncrumple and add to dyebath.
* STOVE - Bring dyebath to a simmer. Stir item constantly untill desired colour is reached, up to 30 minutes.
SINK OR BUCKET - Stir item constantly until desired colour is reached, up to 30 minutes.
* Rinse in warm water, then gradually cooler water until water runs clear
* Wash in warm water with detergent.
* Dry item in dryer or air dry.
CLEAN CONTAINER IMMEDIATELY with chlorine bleach. then scub with powdered cleanser if needed.
DYE-STAIN FOR WOOD AND WICKER:
* For unfinished wicker,rattan, baskets, wreaths, furniture and wood accessories.
* Dissolve RIT dye in 2 cups HOT water.
* Sponge or brush on 1 to 3 coats of dye-stain.
* Immersion method: Use 2 quarts HOT water and immerse item, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes.
* Dry completely.
* Finish with polyurethane, varnish or paste wax.
wash items separately in cold water with mild detergent to minimize colour fading. Dry as usual.
More RIT plus a large range of Dylon Fabric products, Crafts & accessories in our ebay shop.
Other products listed such as fleece, polyester wadding, toy filling, crafts and ebays largest selection of fur fabrics.